For most women pregnancy is an exciting moment in their life. Eating healthy food and living healthy lifestyle is important for maintaining health of pregnant women as well as the fetus developing inside the womb. However, some women during their pregnancy experience lack of desire to eat food. It occurs mainly during the first three months of pregnancy.
Nausea, vomiting and generalized weakness are common during the early pregnancy period. Some women may develop abnormal taste for food that was once their favorite, while some women may feel disgusted with smell of certain type of food.These all changes are temporary and they may occur due to fluctuation of hormones in the body of a pregnant woman.
Besides mood swings and anxiety can take its toll on the appetite of pregnant women. Many women in the later stage of pregnancy become constipated. Constipation can develop due to increased secretion of progesterone hormone, supplemental iron and also due to growing size of uterus which can compress the large bowel.
Some women may feel loss of appetite as the growing uterus presses the stomach. As a result after eating small amount the woman may feel fuller.Mental stress during pregnancy can also cause loss of appetite. She may also feel tired due to stress.
How To Increase Appetite During Pregnancy?
Eating healthy diet is important for the growth of fetus as well as for well being of the mother. Certain nutrients such as calcium, iron and folic acid play crucial role in development of the fetus. But as some women have loss of appetite, they may lack the desired amount of these nutrients. So here are some of the ways to increase appetite in such women.
- Avoid consuming excess of food soon after you get up in the morning. Since many women have morning sickness she may vomit out if eaten in excess.
- For this reason eat small portion of food at least five to six times in a day.
- Avoid eating same food repeatedly. Instead add variety to increase the taste and desire for food.
- BRAT diet (banana, rice, applesauce, and toast) in the beginning of pregnancy is suitable in most women.
- Avoid fatty and oily food as they will reduce the desire to eat.
- Some women who feel nausea in the morning may feel better by sucking lemon or sour candy.
- Vomiting and nausea are most troublesome symptoms that may not allow increasing appetite. Drinking ginger tea in morning is time tested home remedy to combat morning sickness of pregnancy.
- Eat more vegetables and fruits during pregnancy. They prevent constipation due to presence of fibers. If you are less constipated, your appetite will naturally increase.
- Drink enough water throughout the day to prevent constipation as well as dehydration.
- To increase appetite avoid eating too much of spicy and seasoned food.