Almost one third women who conceive experience the earliest sign of pregnancy in the form of implantation bleeding. It is small amount of bleeding that occurs when a fertilized egg attaches itself in the inner lining of uterus, the endometrium. Implantation spotting generally occurs 10 to12 days after ovulation.
Fertilization of egg occurs in the fallopian tube. Slowly 3 to4 days after that, the egg travels into uterus and implants on its inner lining. While doing so, it causes small amount of damage to the blood vessels of the uterine lining resulting in bleeding.The blood passes to the cervix and down into the vagina.
Implantation bleeding is extremely less and some women do not experience it at all, while some may not notice it even if it has occurred. The bleeding lasts for a short interval and is not as heavy as menstrual bleeding. It is just blood spots pink or brown that can be seen on the underwear of a woman.
Signs And Symptoms Of Implantation Bleeding
Recognizing the signs and symptoms of implantation bleeding will help a woman to know if she is pregnant. Although the symptoms are not always experienced by all women, at least thirty percent of them will be able to recognize when they are present in them.
- Bleeding that occurs 10 to 12 days after conception. The bleeding is close to the timing of normal menses. If she had sexual intercourse at the time of ovulation 10 days before bleeding, the possibility of pregnancy is much higher.
- Bleeding is usually in small amount. It stains the underwear and it is pink or brownish in color.
- The amount of bleeding is very less. It lasts only 1 or 2 days.
- Some women experience mild cramps at the time when the egg gets implanted in the lining of uterus. They usually are mild cramps and are bearable by the women. However, if the cramps increase then it is an indication of either regular menses or ectopic pregnancy. If the cramps are accompanied with fever, heavy bleeding, chills, it may be an indication of ectopic pregnancy.
- Implantation bleeding is often accompanied with other signs and symptoms such as frequent urination, nausea, bloating of stomach, increased sensitivity to certain food smell, tenderness in breast etc.
- Sometimes there may be no symptoms except mild cramps in the lower abdomen. It is accompanied with slight rise of basal body temperature.
How Long Can Implantation Bleeding Last?
It is always necessary to know how long implantation bleeding lasts. It gives an understanding for a woman to differentiate between bleeding due to menses and bleeding caused by implantation of the fertilized egg.
The time interval for implantation bleeding may differ from one woman to another, as no two pregnancies are same. Often bleeding may also occur due to other reasons such as sexual intercourse during the period of implantation.
Normally if it is implantation bleeding, you will notice the blood once or twice. Implantation bleeding lasts for one or two days and the amount of discharge is very less. It may just stain the panty liner.