Pregnancy is one of the most exciting moments in a woman’s life. However, many women during the nine months of pregnancy become more anxious than they ever were. There may be variety of reasons such as being first time pregnant, got lucky after struggling to become pregnant, physical problems like morning sickness, worries about the fetus health and many other issues can cause anxiety or panic attacks.
Anxiety to certain extent is considered normal. But when maternal stress and anxiety interrupts daily task or is overwhelming then it can affect the health of unborn child as well as that of the mother.In this article, let us explore the reasons for anxiety and panic attacks during pregnancy and its possible treatment.
What Causes Anxiety Attacks During Pregnancy?
Anxiety is not only related to pregnancy. This emotional state of mind is present in every human being to lesser extent. Worries and anxiety are in fact part of living; however, the emotional state can become amplified during pregnancy in some women. There may be several issues to make a pregnant woman anxious and worried.
Every pregnant woman may have different problems. For one woman it can be her first pregnancy, for other the previous loss or infertility problem can make her worry for sustaining the present pregnancy.Relationship, health problems, finance all can make her anxious.
However, normal anxiety is different from anxiety that consumes all the energy or disturbs daily life. This abnormal fear, panic during pregnancy is called antenatal anxiety. Several reasons are noted for anxiety during pregnancy.
- Hormonal changes that occur during pregnancy.
- History of anxiety during previous pregnancy.
- History of miscarriage or fetal death in womb.
- Pregnancy with complications.
- Office and home stress.
All these can increase the risk of anxiety and panic during pregnancy.
Symptoms Of Anxiety During Pregnancy
Woman during her pregnancy may present with several symptoms indicating anxiety and panic. Below are some of the symptoms that are observed due anxiety in a pregnant woman.
- Increased heartbeats.
- Generalized pain in chest.
- Breathing difficulty.
- Mild tremors in fingers.
- Excessive perspiration.
- Feeling irritable and restless.
- Overwhelming fear and panic.
- Difficulty while sleeping or takes long time to sleep.
- Trouble concentrating on work and daily activities.
- Constantly feeling irritable and restless.
- Pain and cramps in leg muscles.
Natural Remedies For Anxiety During Pregnancy
Often women do not seek treatment for anxiety during pregnancy, even though it is affecting her daily life. They should always take steps to address their anxiety as untreated cases are likely to have frequently bouts of postpartum depression. Here are few steps to that will help to relieve anxiety in pregnant woman.
- Meditation is great ways to clam anxiety and stress normally. It helps to make your mind quite for some time. You do not need any specific place. Just sit in a quiet room, close your eyes and focus on your breathing. Practice it for 10 to 15 minutes daily.
- Whenever you are feeling anxious and fearful, avoid watching scary movies and reading frightening books. It will in fact increase anxiety level. Instead take a bath or listen to soft music before going to bed. It keeps your mind cool and relaxed.
- Take a brisk walk for 15 to 20 minutes daily in fresh air. It helps to relax your mind and at the same time increases circulation in the body.
- Avoid working overtime in your office when you are stressed and anxious.
- Take proper 7 to 8 hours sleep. Take few minutes nap in afternoon. Lack of sleep exaggerates anxiety level.
- Eat fresh fruits and vegetables and dairy products. It helps to reduce anxiety as they have well balanced nutrients.
- Stay active as it helps to kill boredom and reduce unnecessary thoughts. According to researchers, people who remain active are less stressful and anxious.