Treatment for Respiratory Tract Infection During Pregnancy
Pregnancy is a delicate stage in a woman’s life. Anny disease that she catches will greatly affect the fetus on her womb especially on the first trimester where most organs are developing. Just like everyone, an expectant mother is very susceptible to acquiring disease most commonly respiratory infections. It can be classified into upper respiratory tract infection (URTI) or lower respiratory tract infection (LRTI), which is more challenging because it may involve the lungs.
Causes of Respiratory Infection During Pregnancy
There are two main reasons or causes of respiratory tract infection in pregnant women.They are the following:
- The capability of the microorganisms to cause infection. Common causative agents include common influenza viruses, bacteria, and other microorganisms. These agents should attain a certain number to cause infection.
- The susceptibility of the person. Remember that there are millions of microorganisms that are causes of respiratory infection during pregnancy. The only reason why we are still on a state of equilibrium is our immune system. If our defense mechanisms go down, these pathogens will then thrive.
Remedies for Pregnancy Respiratory Infection
Medications are not freely taken during pregnancy because they may harm the baby.However, here are some treatment and remedies for respiratory infection for pregnant women:
- Drink water as tolerated or as prescribed by your doctor.
- You can also try steam inhalation to loosen secretions.
- It is always important to consult your doctor if you have any kinds of infection. There are medicines that can be prescribed with minimal or no side effects. Common over-the-counter drugs are usually harmful.
- Eat nutritious foods. Those high in protein that are building blocks of cells, those with vitamins C, A, and B complex, and of course, fruits and vegetables.
- Prefer eating foods high in omega 3 fatty acids. They help in boosting your immune system.
- Have an adequate rest and sleep and you’ll have a good battle with respiratory infection during pregnancy.
- Take some light exercise. Just something that you can tolerate. It helps in blood circulation.