Pregnancy is a most demanding period in terms of diet in women’s life. A proper diet during the nine months of pregnancy is essential for mother as well as for the growing fetus.
During the initial period i.e. during the first three months of pregnancy many women complain of decreased appetite, nausea and vomiting. In this period a proper and nutritious diet has to be taken care of to avoid loss in weight and sometimes there is a feeling that fetus is not growing.
Diet Plan For Pregnant Women
- Appetite slowly improves from 4th to 6th month and towards the last 3 months it increases significantly.
- The calorie requirement increases by 300cal so eating enough is important not stuffing up.
- During pregnancy females have a lot of cravings for peculiar things so it is very important to eat right as some females with history of tendency to weight gain are prone to high blood pressure, over-weight baby and difficult child-birth.
Healthy Diet And Fitness During Pregnancy
- Increase the intake of fruits and vegetables.
- As calcium requirement increases so milk, milk products, leafy vegetables should be introduced in diet.
- Avoid sugary foods and high fatty foods.
- Eat nuts like almonds, walnuts which are rich in vitamin E and minerals as these help in fetal growth.
- Avoid raw foods like cheese, eggs, un-pasteurized milk.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol.
- Pregnant ladies are advised to have some basic exercises like walking or swimming as per doctors’ advice.
- Sources of essential fatty acids like oily fish and fresh water fish should be added in the diet.
- A pregnant woman is advised to completely avoid outside food so as to avoid infections.
- Regular diet has to be divided into 6 to 7 feeds at short intervals.
- Those who are anemic should have iron-fortified foods, like breakfast cereals etc, which can boost the iron reserves.
- Avoid caffeinated drinks like coffee, tea or colas, during the meals because they can interfere with iron absorption.