Question: I would like to know what causes immature eggs in ovaries. Is an ovary of 42mm*30mm 32mm*25mm normal?
Answer: Women have a pair of ovaries on either side of uterus. The main function of the ovary is reproduction.
Ovaries contain unfertilized eggs which are also called ovum. The eggs mature every 28 to 30 days in an adult woman and get released from the ovary into the fallopian tube to get fertilized. There are certain conditions in which even after adulthood the eggs do not mature in the ovaries. Immature eggs in ovaries is the main cause of infertility in women.
Causes Of Immature Eggs In Ovaries
- Hormonal imbalance: in this condition the follicles in the ovaries are not produced, and therefore the eggs remain immature. Thus absence of ovulation results into infertility.
- This commonly occurs in polycystic ovarian syndrome; it is characterized by absence of menstruation, abnormal hair growth on face, chin, over the upper lips and anovulation.
- In this syndrome there is decreased production of FSH (follicle stimulating hormone).
- Hypothalamus at fault: hypothalamus in the brain sends message to the pituitary gland to release FSH and LH hormones to stimulate the ovaries to produce the eggs, in any circumstances this is interrupted as in case of a tumor or other condition of the hypothalamus, and causes immature eggs in ovaries.
- Pituitary gland at fault: this may be due to injury to the pituitary gland, or a tumor arising from the pituitary gland resulting into non production of the hormones FSH and LH. Therefore the ovaries will be unable to ovulate.
- The other reason for immature eggs in ovaries is the injury to ovaries.
- In certain cases the follicle are not ruptured and there fore the eggs are not released.
- Menopause in young age: the eggs do not mature in these women, it occurs in more commonly in athletics and women doing rigorous exercise. Hereditary may be a cause.
Fortunately in modern times drugs are available to stimulate the ovaries to release the eggs and they have given encouraging results in an infertile woman.
The size of your ovary looks to be normal.