Question: I am two months pregnant, ultrasound says baby is not growing, I want to know what are the causes of my fetus is not growing?
Answer: As the pregnancy progresses the weight of the fetus inside the womb also increases, in consideration of other parameters of development. But in few women the growth of fetus is not up to the mark as expected.
What Happens When Fetus Is Not Growing
This babies can have certain health problems like low birth weight at the time of birth, beside this few other problems include,
- Chances of stillbirth
- Delivery through cesarean section
- Low blood sugar level during birth
- Low resistance level to fight infection
Causes Of Fetus Not Growing
Why fetus is not growing as expected?
There are various causes of fetal growth restriction but few of them may be constitutionally small and healthy.The other causes are:
- If the mother is suffering from hypertension
- And hypertension during pregnancy
- Valvular heart disease, such as mitral stenosis or aortic valve disease
- Malformed uterus like biconuate uterus
- Cigarette smoking, alcohol addiction or drugs during the pregnancy
- If there are twins
- Mother having serious infection
- Sickle cell anemia.
- Causes due to placental abnormality: placenta acts as a connecting agent between the mother and the fetus. The vital supply of oxygen, food and blood is sourced through the placenta to the fetus, if there is any damage or any abnormality in the placenta then it will directly affect the growth of the fetus. This causes are placenta privia, placental abruption.
What To Do When Fetus Is Not Growing
Important thing to remember is to visit your gynecologist regularly for checkup. You may need frequent ultrasound investigation to know the fetal status.
Monitor your baby’s movement and kicks.
Take good care of yourself like proper rest and sleep for at least 8 hours, an afternoon nap is also beneficial. Eat healthy and nutritious food and eat high calorie diet. Finally if you are smoking, taking alcohol, or addicted to drugs you have to stop it immediately for the betterment of the fetus inside your womb.