Enema is indicated in cases of constipation. Constipation is a very common complaint in pregnancy. It occurs because of the hormonal changes associated with pregnancy. Also intake of iron preparations in pregnancy, add to the problem of constipation.
Constipation has to be avoided at all costs in pregnancy as excess pressure during passing stools may lead to abdominal pain due to uterine contractions also excess pressure during passing stools can lead to formation of piles.
Natural enema is given with castor oil but this is to be completely avoided in pregnancy as it may induce uterine contraction due to its strong purgative action.
Glycerin syringe enema is commercially available. Glycerin lubricates the feces and gently stimulates defecation. It avoids strong contractions and cramps associated with other enema (castor oil and soap water enemas).
Preferably, bowel movements should be improved in pregnancy and enemas should be avoided as far as possible.
How To Prevent Constipation In Pregnancy?
- Drink plenty of water and fluids.
- Exercise regularly, a walk during pregnancy is most beneficial.
- Take plenty of salads and green leafy vegetables, whole grains and pulses.
- Make sure that you eat fruits instead of juices and brown bread instead of white as this adds fiber to diet which in turn adds bulk to stools.
- In consultation with your obstetrician, change your iron tablets to a type that is released slowly or to which a stool softener has been added.
- Hurried meals and meals at odd times should be avoided.
- Food should be chewed properly, as the enzymes which are released after proper mastication help in digestion.
Natural Constipation Remedies In Pregnant Women
- Pears are beneficial in the treatment of constipation. Similarly, guava when eaten with seeds provides roughage to diet and helps normal evacuation of bowel.
- Papaya helps in constipation but should be avoided in pregnancy.
- Oranges are also effective when taken at bedtime.
- Drinking water, which has been kept overnight in a copper vessel, first thing in the morning also gives good results.
- Grapes also are beneficial due to its high content of cellulose. If fresh grapes are not available then raisins soaked in water can be used.