There are three sets of molar teeth; wisdom teeth are the last set to erupt from the gums between 18 to 25 years of age. Wisdom teeth are as important as other teeth, but often they are misaligned or impacted, giving more trouble to the adjacent teeth. Their removal in such circumstances is the only alternative.
Wisdom Teeth Removal
As wisdom teeth are last to erupt, they have less room in the mouth. This may cause them to erupt partially or sideways or in some cases they are horizontally placed and impacted. Pain, swelling in the gums and infection are common when the wisdom teeth are misaligned and impacted.Extraction of wisdom teeth is the only option left for the dentist or your dental surgeon.
Horizontally impacted wisdom teeth may require the service of an oral surgeon for its removal. The patient is given general anesthesia or is heavily sedated prior to surgery. The surgeon may stitch the gum after the wisdom tooth is removed.
Post Operative Care For Wisdom Teeth Removal
There may be mild bleeding, pain, swelling for few days. Your dentist will prescribe antibiotic and painkiller medicines after the surgery to reduce swelling and pain.
- Mild bleeding is expected during the first 24 hours, a moist piece of cloth may be placed on the site of extraction for 30 minutes to an hour. The pressure will reduce the bleeding.
- Ice fomentation may be necessary on the swollen area of the face.
- Take cold liquids for first twelve hours, and then eat soft and semisolid food for few days.
- Rinse your mouth with salt water after meals and before retiring to bed. But do not rinse your mouth for first 24 hours.
Your dental surgeon will call you after a week to remove stitches.
Recovery after removal of wisdom tooth takes approximately five to seven days. It takes three to four weeks for the gum to heal completely.
Complications And Cost Of Removing Wisdom Teeth
Complication of wisdom teeth removal:
- Dry socket is a condition where the blood clot in the gum has failed to form or has been dislodged. Healing of gums will get delayed; there will be mild to severe pain 3 to 4 days after the removal, accompanied with foul odor from the mouth.
- Numbness of tongue, lips, and cheeks can last for months after the removal.
Wisdom teeth removal cost:
- The cost can vary in different areas and in different set ups. But normally, simple extraction of erupted wisdom tooth may cost $100 to $150 per tooth.
- In case of impacted tooth removal the cost can be $350 to $450 per tooth, it can even cost more if general anesthesia is required.