Sores on tongue are most annoying and troublesome for a person who suffers from it. Although it is not a serious problem, person suffering from sores are often unable to eat and drink for few days till the sores heal. Sores on back of tongue are small white or yellow ulcers surrounded by a red area; they are also called apthous ulcers.
They are painful and tender, especially when food and liquid comes in contact for first two to three days. Sometimes there is bleeding from these sores. There is excessive secretion of saliva due to sores on tongue, and many times it dribbles out from the corner of your mouth.What causes these sores is the next question in your mind, yes, it is important to know to prevent it from happening again.
Causes Of Sores On Back Of Tongue
The exact cause for sores on tongue is not known, however experts believe there are certain risk factors responsible to cause sores or apthous ulcers on back of tongue or on the lips and inside of the mouth.
- Sores on tongue seem to be brought on by stress in some people.
- Hereditary is also considered to be a reason for sores on tongue.
- Many women complain of sores on tongue or apthous ulcer before or during menstruation.
- Trauma and injury caused while brushing teeth, or while cleaning the tongue with a tongue cleaner can cause
- Food allergies and certain spicy and sour citrus fruits can cause corrosion of the mucus membrane which leads to ulcer formation on the back of the tongue or inside of lips.
- Vitamin deficiency especially vitamin B complex deficiency is considered to be a cause for ulcer on the tongue.
Treatment For Painful Sores On Back Of Tongue
The first priority is to alleviate the pain, so that it becomes easy to eat and drink.
- Applying crushed Ice on the sore will help to numb the pain.
- Do not eat spicy, sour and acidic food it can make the tongue sore more worse.
- Gargling with salt water is very effective treatment for sores on the back of the tongue. Besides salt has anti bacterial activity which prevents further complications from trauma.
- Eat green leafy vegetables and fresh fruits. They contain plenty of vitamins and minerals. It is an effective treatment to cure painful sores on the back of the tongue.
- Reduce stress by exercising and meditation as stress and anxiety can also cause sore on the back of the tongue.