Soreness on tip of tongue, or all over the tongue is a common health problem experienced by many people. Human tongue has rich supply of nerves and blood; it is highly sensitive muscular organ. Soreness on tip of tongue can cause pain and burning sensation. A person may find difficulty while swallowing and chewing food, as well as he may not be able to experience the taste of food with a sore tip of tongue.
Usually a healthy tongue is pink in color, but when a tongue becomes sore, it is fiery red in appearance with many bumps visible on its surface.Soreness on tip of tongue can indicate many health problems, for this reason physicians examine the appearance of tongue while diagnosing any illness.
Causes Of Soreness On Tip Of Tongue
There are several reasons for sore tongue; in most of the cases they are not serious. Here are some of the common causes for sore tongue:
- Your tongue may become sore and painful as a result of trauma from the sharp edges of damaged teeth, badly fitting dentures or biting during an epileptic fit. The tip may also become red and sore when it may be bitten accidentally while eating or talking. If you eat something too hot or cold, the papillae on the tongue may get inflamed leading to tongue soreness.
- Soreness on tip of tongue is often related to nutritional deficiency. Not only the tip, in many cases the whole tongue may become sore and the person may find difficulty while eating. Deficiency of vitamins, especially vitamin B1, B6, B12, folic acid and iron may cause soreness of tongue.
- To certain extent, sore tip of tongue is also associated with excessive stress and anxiety. Generally during stress, a person may not eat food in required quantity; this may lead to vitamin and mineral deficiency. Certain diseases which may prevent absorption of nutrients from the intestine may also cause vitamin deficiency and sore tongue.
- Red triangular tip of the tongue with white coating on rest of the tongue is a classical feature of typhoid diseases.
- Nowadays piercing of body parts has become a fashion. There are few people who may also pierce the tip of tongue, in such cases irritation from wearing studs on tip of the tongue may lead to sore tip of tongue.
- Oral thrush is a fungal infection in the mouth. It can cause soreness on tip of tongue. Other medical problems that may be associated with sore tongue are cancer of tongue, gingivitis, canker sores, etc.
Sore Tip Of Tongue Symptoms
Actually sore tip of tongue is itself a sign of the prevailing health condition. However, the person suffering from soreness on tip of tongue may experience:
- Redness: due to inflammation, the papilla of tongue may become red.
- It may be extremely painful while eating and drinking, when a person suffers from sore tip of tongue. Since the tip gets constantly irritated, it may often bleed.
- Soreness may cause loss of taste.
- The surface of the tongue may become smooth in some cases. Raised bumps are also noticed in some cases.
- Soreness on tip of tongue may cause excess of salivation.
- Due to pain and excess of salivation, the person may find difficulty while speaking, or the speech may become slurred.
Home Remedies For Sores On Tongue
In most cases a sore tip of tongue may heal on its own after few days. The symptoms of pain and burning sensation may alleviate with over the counter drugs. If the cause is due to trauma, an ant inflammatory pain killer may be useful.
There are many effective home remedies for treating sore tip of tongue and they are as follows:
- Salt water gargling: gargle with salt water two to three time in a day when you are suffering from soreness of the tongue.
- Maintain proper dental hygiene: it helps to prevent tongue bites and thus soreness on tip of tongue. Always brush your teeth regularly, consult a dentist for correcting sharp edges of teeth as well as a bad fitting denture.
- Suck ice cubes frequently to relieve pain.
- Eat a balanced diet that consists of vitamins and minerals. Incorporate green leafy vegetables and fruits in your regular diet.
- Vitamin supplements may be required in many cases of sore tongue tips.
- Eat yogurt two times in a day to shorten the painful condition. Yogurt has good bacteria that initiate the healing process of the sore tongue.
- You can also apply honey and turmeric over the sore tip of tongue; it shortens the healing period of the lesion.