The roof of mouth or upper palate is sensitive area in the oral cavity. Slightest scratch or an ulcer on it can be tormenting experience for the patient. If you feel the roof of mouth with your tongue or your finger, you will find two different areas. The front portion being hard made up of bone which is called hard palate and the back side is soft made up of tissues known as soft palate.
A scratch or a lesion on hard palate is not as much painful and sore as when present on soft palate.This is because the soft palate is more sensitive. Soreness in upper palate may produce burning sensation. It may also cause discomfort while eating and drinking. These symptoms may worsen after eating spicy and hot food or when you wake up early in the morning.
Causes Of Scratches On Roof Of Mouth
Roof of mouth is susceptible to damage due to various food substances that you eat. Raw and sore feeling in upper palate can stem from variety of causes.
- The roof of mouth may scald and hurt after drinking hot tea and coffee. Since the upper palate is sensitive it can easily get hurt after drinking anything that is too hot. Especially the soft palate on the back side may develop ulcers and scar. The soreness and burning sensation can last for several days after the damage.
- Habit of tobacco chewing and smoking cigarettes can cause damage to the upper palate. Chewing tobacco causes swelling and rawness behind the front of upper teeth and at the back of soft palate.
- Eating food substances having sharp edges can cause scratches on upper palate. For example sharp and crispy tortillas and nachos.
- Canker sores can cause pain. Bacteria present in mouth can penetrate in the scratches and form pus filled ulcers. Eating spicy and hot food can irritate them further causing excessive discomfort while eating and swallowing.
- Dental deformities can put pressure on upper palate damaging the tissues. It especially occurs in the upper palate at the back of front teeth. Wearing ill fitting dentures or oral devices can cause irritation and scratches on upper palate.
Home Remedies To Heal Scratched Roof Of Mouth
Scratches and sores in roof of mouth usually heal in 10 to 14 days, sometimes even earlier without any medicine. But during this period patient is experiences extreme discomfort to eat and drink. Here are few home remedies that will help to enhance healing of sores in upper palate.
- Avoid eating sharp edged food during this period. Instead eat soft food that does not hurt the damaged part of soft palate.
- Avoid eating spicy food. Instead try bland food that is easy for you to swallow without causing pain.
- Avoid eating hot pizzas as it can burn the already scarred soft or hard palate.
- Gargle with salt water. Initially it may sting and burn, but salt water has antibacterial properties which will help in preventing infection.
- Drink cool water. It is soothing for the mouth and also reduces burning pain. Even cold milk will help to soothe the scratches.
- Avoid chewing large bolus as this may irritate the area.
- Aloe vera gel is a natural healer for scratches on upper mouth. Apply it two to three times in a day to soothe the burning sensation in upper palate.
- Ice Popsicle is best when scratches are caused while drinking hot coffee and tea.
- Take vitamin B complex supplements as they aid in healing process.
- Patient finds relief from OTC anti inflammatory mouth gels when applied on scratched roof of mouth.
- Prepare a paste of honey and turmeric powder. Apply it on the affected area several times in a day. Honey and turmeric has inherent properties to heal the affected area faster.