Home Remedies for Tongue Thrush
Tongue thrush is the result of bacterial activity in the mouth, especially of the candida albicans fungus. The fungus accumulates on the lining of the mouth and may affect all areas of the mouth cavity. However, it becomes most annoying and bothersome when it affects the tongue because it affects the perception in tasting food as well as making swallowing and eating difficult.
Aside from fungal infection, there are also other factors that cause it such as dietary changes, body infections, and weak immune system. For this reason, treating tongue thrush requires a multifaceted approach.
Tongue thrush is manifested by creamy white lesions. These lesions are painful and may even bleed when it is scraped against another surface, especially when brushing your teeth.
Natural Cures for Tongue Thrush
The following are the common treatments for tongue thrush:
- Taking yogurt is one of the best treatments for tongue thrush. Yogurt is known to combat bacterial and fungal activities in the body and is very good in treating infections caused by them.
- Dip a piece of cloth or cotton in vinegar and then apply over the lesions. This will easily help heal tongue thrush.
- At night, soak some plantain seeds in a cup of water overnight. In the morning, a gel-like substance will be formed. Using your fingers, apply this material on the patches of lesions. When using this treatment, make sure that your hands are clean so as not to induce bacteria into the infected part.
- Another remedy for tongue thrush is to apply ice on the lesions. This will treat the soreness of the lesions and reduces the inflammation.
Prevent Tongue Thrush
- Reduce the intake of sugary foods and bread. These foods are the leading contributor to the overgrowth of candida in the mouth, which causes tongue thrush.
- Make sure to eat a lot of probiotic supplements, particularly yogurt. Probiotics are known for their potency against bacterial and fungal infection. Moreover, they also aid the digestive system, making sure that nutrients are properly absorbed by the body.
- Take a lot of foods rich in vitamin C. The best source for this nutrient is fresh fruits. Vitamin C is known to attack fungus and bacteria in the body, neutralizing them in the process and lessening the possibility of acquiring infections due to their activity.