If I take lemon juice with honey, every morning, can I control high levels of uric acid?
Is lemon juice beneficial for lowering uric acid levels?
Dietary guidelines for the management of elevated levels of uric acid:
- Eat a diet that is low in purines. Foods that provide large amounts of purines are – fish, such as: herring, mackerel, and anchovies, organ meats, yeast, legumes, poultry, spinach and asparagus. Stay away from them. Eggs, whole grains, olives and nuts can be had in moderate quantities.
- If you are over weight, try to achieve an ideal body weight.
- Reduce the protein intake and reduce the fat intake, since these foods are invariably high in purines.
- Drink plenty of water and fluids through the day, as water helps dilute the urine and excrete uric acid quickly. A minimum of 2 liters of water per day is recommended.
- Banish – refined white flour, white sugar, processed foods, and simple sugars from the diet, totally. These foods decrease uric acid excretion from the body, and could trigger an attack of gout.
- Consume whole grains and cereals – rice, wheat, oats, millets, etc. they provide complex carbohydrates, and are good for you.
- Yes, you can continue to have lime and honey. But, making these other dietary changes is a must to keep the levels of uric acid in check.