Kidney Infections Symptoms
The symptoms of kidney infections are clear. In case of true infection in the kidney, most of the time there will be intense pain on the side, chills and a fever of 102-104 degrees Fahrenheit. Swelling of the face is present. Urine contains protein (albumin), blood pressure may increase. Nausea and vomiting are persistent with headache. Burning sensation on urination and decreased frequency may be present.
What Causes Kidney Infections?
- Infections of the urinary tract causing inflammation of the kidneys and renal pelvis (pyelonephritis).
- Tuberculosis of the kidney.
- Tumors of the kidney.
- Drugs, painkillers, steroids and antibiotics.
- Metabolic disorders (diabetes mellitus).
- Immuno-compromised individuals.
- Renal abscess or carbuncle of the kidney (staphylococcus aureus).
In majority of the cases, acute pyelonephritis develops from infection in the bladder. E. coli is the most common infecting organism in all cases of pyelonephritis. Infections in kidney are more common than many people think.
Diagnosis of Kidney Infections
- Blood examination reveals high neutrophil count, ESR is raised and causative organism is investigated by blood culture and urine culture.
- Urine is the basic test with high protein content. Urine contains large amounts of pus and bacteria. A few red cells may be noted in the urine.
- Renal function test is done to find out the status of the kidney.
- X-ray may not be decisive except some obliteration of the renal shadow due to edema of the kidney.
Kidney Infection Complications
Kidney infections can lead to destruction of the kidney, hypertension, kidney abscess and other serious conditions.
Kidney Infection Prevention
- Patient should not take too much of salt.
- Fried foods, sour foods and spicy food stuff should be avoided.
- Foods which may irritate the urinary system and kidneys like alcohol, pickles, fish, chicken etc. should be avoided.
- Exposure to sun and heat should be avoided.
- Lots of liquids should be consumed.
Kidney Infection Natural Treatment
Kidney infection becomes a medical emergency if not properly treated and hence home remedies are to be tried as a supportive measure to main line of treatment.
- Pain should be relieved with anti-spasmodic.
- Bed rest is highly important as it is required in all cases of infection.
- Patient is advised to drink large quantity of water (at least 3 liters a day). Adequate urinary output should be maintained.
- If the urine is acidic, alkalization of the urine is beneficial through potassium citrate.
There is no instant relief for kidney infections. Antibiotics are started even when the culture sensitivity reports have not arrived.
Kidney Infection Natural Remedies
- Juice of radish, about 250ml given two to three times a day is helpful.
- In case of burning sensation while urinating, lemon juice mixed with sugar and water should be given 2 to 3 times a day.
- Carrots are also helpful in controlling burning sensation of urine.
- Blackberry is also very helpful. About 100 gms of this fruit should be taken daily.