Liver is the largest organ in our body. It has a wide variety of functions, therefore it is referred to as chemical factory of our body. It is very important to keep the Liver in great shape by eating the right kind of food that nourishes the liver and acts as natural liver cleanse and to keep it detoxified and fit all all times. Each functional unit of liver (hepatic lobule) is capable of carrying out all functions of entire liver. Good food habits can keep your liver healthy and clean.
Functions of the Liver
- Liver plays a major role for maintaining a normal blood glucose concentration. It helps in the process called as Gluconeogenesis (synthesis of new glucose) and also on storage of glycogen, so that during fasting, our body derives glucose from stored glycogen in liver which helps maintain a proper blood sugar levels.
- It helps in formation of lipoproteins. These lipoproteins (LDL) which transport regular cholesterol to muscles and other tissues to provide energy, while lipoprotein (HDL) brings unused cholesterol from tissues and muscles and deposit it back to liver which in turn help maintaining healthy cholesterol levels in our body. Also helps in synthesis of cholesterol.
- The dietary protein enters liver as amino acids and is taken up by liver for production of plasma protein and formation of urea. This along with glycogen helps for gluconeogenesis especially during fasting.
- Liver also helps in storage of vitamins specially A, D and B12.
- It also helps in storage of iron in the form of Ferritin.
- Liver helps in the formation of coagulation factors, during tissue bleed these factors help in stoppage of bleeding.
- Liver plays an important role in excretion of drugs and other substances, also helps in metabolizing 90% of ingested alcohol.
Liver structure and function alters gradually with age. There is reduction in number of hepatocytes. The reserve becomes less and this may be an important cause of increased mortality of liver disease in elderly.
Good Foods for The Liver
- To have a healthy liver you have to have a healthy life style, moderate exercises, nourishing diet, avoiding food in unhygienic conditions to avoid illness like viral hepatitis or jaundice.
- Alcohol is injurious to liver and is responsible for a condition called fatty liver in young adults so complete avoidance of alcohol is mandatory for a healthy liver.
- As liver helps in excretion of drugs, long term intake of medicines like pain killers can be injurious to liver and so over the counter medicines without prescription from doctors should be avoided.
Home Remedies for a healthy liver, Natural Liver Cleansing
- Mix 20ml of juice extract of fresh margosa leaves and 20ml of pure honey. To this mixture add 3gms of black pepper powder and stir well. Take in equal doses in the mornings and evenings.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice and 1 teaspoon crushed onion juice and take this mixture on empty stomach in the morning at least for three months.
- Sugarcane juice should be taken for nutrition of liver and general health. Barley water should be taken by diabetic patients.
- Add 10gms of pure turmeric powder to 50gms of yogurt and mix well and divide into equal parts. Drink one part in the morning and another in the evening.
Remember, eating the right amount of good food regularly will keep your liver in a healthy condition.