Wheezing is characterized by prolonged exhalation through an obstructed lower airway, bronchi and bronchioles.
Wheezing cough is especially seen in three clinical manifestations
- Bronchial asthma.
- Chronic bronchitis
- Tropical eosinophilia.
- Invasion of allergens is the prime cause for wheezing cough apart from other obstructive causes which requires hospital management.
- We can take care of wheezing cough during the initial stages with home remedies because wheezing for a longer duration and during a severe acute attack causes hypoxic changes which need to be stabilized in a hospital under supervision.
- Usually allergens like pollen, feathers, food, fur, house mice and drugs lead to a wheezing attack.
- Many people have a family history of specific allergies. Even aggravation can be seen due to specific factors like cold air, tobacco smoke, dust and acrid fumes, respiratory viral infection and stress.
- This is usually recognized as “kapha” syndrome in ayurveda characterized by cough and wheeze and abundant white phlegm. Lungs are often congested and produce a whistling sound. Attacks are at kapha time- morning and evening.
Do’s, Don’t and Precautions to Take
- Common foods which triggers are animal foods, milk products, mucous producing foods like curd, bananas, sugar, black gram etc. are to be avoided.
- Drink plenty of liquids, 8-10 glasses a day, to keep secretions loose.
- Avoid exposure to smoke, perfumes, paints and other strong chemical odors.
- Make an effort to keep your bedroom allergens free. Sleep with a foam or cotton pillow.
- Dust your room often, but not with a broomstick. Vacuum cleaning is the better option. Wear a dust filter mask when you do so.
- Wear a scarf round your mouth and nose in cold weather.
- During an acute attack sit up straight and bed forward. Do not lie down.
- If you have an AC (air-conditioner) – change its filter regularly.
Home Remedies and Natural Cures for Wheezing Cough
- During acute phase of wheezing, take a hot towel over chest and shoulder every 1/2hrly which will have a sedative effect on nerves and relaxing influence generally.
- Hot water when sipped little by little provides relief.
- Inhalation of steam is very effective in relieving spasms.
- Turmeric paste used as a poultice on chest is very soothing.
- Taking pippalee (piper longum) powder along with pure honey helps in subsiding wheezing cough.
- During acute phase, drink some hot water a clove of garlic in it.
- The rhizomes of turmeric are to be baked in hot sand slightly and made into fine powder. This is to be taken twice daily with sugar. (Minimum 3gms).
- Mustard oil is also a good remedy. Take a spoonful with jaggery twice a day helps relieving wheezing cough.