Wheatgrass is considered to be a nutritional supplement that is packed with vitamins, minerals, and several other vital nutrients. The wheat plant when it is young is called wheatgrass. Its botanical name is Triticum Aestivum. It belongs to the same family of rye and barley. Wheatgrass is generally consumed either in juice form, milled powder, tablets or capsules. Normally it is better to consume freshly prepared juice of wheatgrass. However, if you are not able to find fresh juice of wheatgrass, the next option is to consume wheatgrass powder. One of the main ingredients of wheatgrass is chlorophyll.Almost 70 percent of wheatgrass is chemically composed of chlorophyll. People use it as an herbal medicine for its nutritional and therapeutic value. There is abundance of vitamin A, C, E, iron, calcium, bioflavanoids and amino acids beside chlorophyll.
Benefits of Wheatgrass Powder
Often it is difficult to find freshly prepared wheatgrass juice. Hence wheatgrass powder is another better option. The nutrients present in wheatgrass powder are same as that of the juice. Only difference is it is in the powder form. Wheatgrass powder is made by drying fresh wheatgrass in air under the sun or it can be oven dried.It is then milled down into fine powder. Proponents of wheatgrass as a super food suggest several health benefits of wheatgrass powder.
- Wheatgrass is densely packed with chlorophyll. The bright green color of the plant is because of chlorophyll. The molecule of chlorophyll is similar to that of hemoglobin in humans. The only difference is that magnesium binds oxygen in plants whereas in hemoglobin iron binds the oxygen in its core. Studies suggest chlorophyll is good for healing of wounds, and is helpful in eliminating accumulated toxins from the body. Some studies indicate it helps to prevent development of colon cancer, pancreatitis, and also prevents colostomy odor as well as bad breath.
- Wheatgrass because of its high fiber content is extremely beneficial in digestive diseases. Use of powder can be an effective mean for curing constipation. It also reduces acid reflux disease. It is also useful in treatment of irritable bowel syndrome.
- In animal controlled trial wheatgrass is found to reduce high cholesterol and triglycerides. It is thus useful in treating hyperlipidemia.
- Triticum aestivum is also beneficial in reducing inflammatory changes in rheumatoid arthritis.
- Some researchers have found wheatgrass powder has anti-cancer potential. It is also found that consuming wheatgrass reduces side effects of chemotherapy such as fatigue and vitamin deficiencies.
- Consuming wheatgrass juice or powder is known to enhance your immune system.
- Wheatgrass also helps to reduce rectal bleeding among patients suffering from ulcerative colitis.
- People suffering from diabetes benefit from wheatgrass powder because it is useful in regulation of blood sugar.
- Wheatgrass is useful in improvement of your eyesight, especially night vision.
- Since it contains selenium, wheatgrass is useful in men suffering from infertility.
Wheatgrass powder can be used in several different ways. Normally the dose of wheatgrass powder is 3 gm daily. A dosage spoon is provided with wheatgrass powder bottle. You can add 3 gm of the powder in a glass of 250 ml warm water. Stir for few seconds before you drink the solution. Wheatgrass powder does not dissolve completely. Small particles remain floating in water. Drink this mixture. The fiber present in wheatgrass is beneficial to resolve several health problems including constipation. Other option is to add 3 gm of powder to smoothie, salads, or other alkaline juices. You can add small amount of honey to blend the taste or to make it sweeter.