Spider veins or more accurate term for it is varicose veins, are twisted and enlarged veins close to the surface of the skin. They usually are in your legs, although any vein may become varicose. Far more women than men are affected by it.
Varicose veins occur because of mal-functioning valves in the veins. Normally, the valves help push blood back up to the heart. When the valves malfunction and weaken, they are no longer able to close normally and blood pools in the veins. This pooling can happen along the length of the vein, trapping blood in the extremities.In chronic condition it becomes difficult to walk as the legs have a lot of swelling.
Other causes include pregnancy, overweight, physically inactive individual with poor muscle tone.
Natural Home Remedies For Varicose Veins
- Raise your legs above hip level to ease discomfort. You may want to lie on the floor and prop your feet on your bed for a little while, until your legs feel better. Raise your legs 12 inches while lying on your back. Try doing periodic leg lift if you stand for long periods at work. Every hour or so, just lift your heels up and stimulate flow through your calf. This will help reverse blood flow and develop muscle tone.
- Place a heating pad on sore varicose veins as the warmth will make them feel better.
- Stop smoking as it can cause very fast deterioration of the veins and muscle tone.
- Marigold herb is an efficacious herb in varicose veins. This herb is pounded and extract is prepared which is used as external application for treatment of this disease.
- Vitamin C and E are very important and supplements of these vitamins are to be taken.
- Spinach and carrot juice is healthy in this condition. Half a liter of juice is prepared by mixing 300 ml of carrot juice and 200 ml of spinach juice. This should be consumed once a day.
- Yoga Asanas are useful in this condition. ‘Shirshasana’ and ‘sarvangasana’ should be done under professional help. They help to relax the muscles and allow the blood flow freely in and out of the lower extremities.