Urinary tract infection is common in males as well as females. However, due to short urethra, frequency of UTI is more common in women than in men. Some of the signs and symptoms are easy to detect such as burning urine, frequent passage of urine, blood in urine, fever, vomiting, nausea, pain in lower abdomen etc. There are many reasons for urinary tract infection, such as drinking less water and kidney stones. Sexually transmitted diseases such as gonorrhea etc are also responsible for UTI.
Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infection
- Drink enough water each day and make sure you urinate frequently without holding up for a long time. This will flush your urinary tract at regular intervals preventing infections.
- You should not delay to urinate when you feel so because this will allow faster multiplication of bacteria.
- It is especially important for woman to clean the vaginal area before and after intercourse. Also she should go to bathroom after intercourse. If bacteria are pushed in the bladder during sexual activity, urinating will flush out most of them.
- Female should avoid using chemical sprays and scents as this may irritate delicate mucosa of genitor urinary tract.
- Take showers and avoid baths (tub baths). This is another way you can prevent UTI.
- After every bowel movement, you should wipe from front to back. This prevents the bacteria from entering in vagina. Wiping the wrong way is one of the major causes of urinary tract infection in females.
- If a woman is suffering from urinary tract infection, she should avoid using spermicidal as contraceptive measure. Instead she should adopt any other method of contraception. Spermicidal can cause irritation and also aggravate already present UTI.
- Always wear cotton panties as cotton lets the moisture escape while other material traps moisture. This moisture keeps the area wet and lets the bacteria thrive. Keeping the crotch area dry will help prevent UTI infection.
Benefits Of Cranberry Juice For UTI
Cranberry juice is one of the most effective natural home remedies for urinary tract infection.
- Cranberry juice is an effective home remedy for urinary tract infection. It has been one of the alternative prescriptions for UTI.
- It is also known to stop kidney infections and prevent the formation of kidney stones.
- It is an effective antioxidant and is used to treat other infections. It can be applied topically to treat wounds and skin infections.
- Cranberry is called the ‘super food.’ It has high vitamin C content and is largely used in the treatment of scurvy.
- What’s good about cranberry is because it is also beneficial to people with heart problems.
- Although there are other forms of products that contain cranberry, juice is the more common form of taking in cranberries. It effectively aids in making the immune system stronger likewise helps in the prevention of cancer.
Prevention Of UTI After Intercourse
- Wash the genital area before and after sex. This will keep your sexual organs clean and prevent the bacteria from infecting your vagina or urethra.
- Some women suffer from recurrent UTI infection. Such women can try changing positions during sexual intercourse to avoid a lot of friction on the urethra. This could help reduce the recurrence of UTI.
- Women, who experience frequent excessive UTI after sex, may be prescribed some antibiotic after sex to prevent recurrence of the infection.