Dry Cough Remedy:
That dry, raspy, irritating, cough, and without phlegm in it is popularly known as dry cough. Dry cough occurs more often after suffering from a viral infection like a flu and a head cold. People who are exposed to climate-controlled environment such as air-conditioned rooms or buildings as well as people who smoke more often suffer from dry cough.
It is sometimes associated with tickly throat. As differentiated from ordinary cough, this type of cough makes you feel better in the sense that you can still experience normal breathing and your chest is not congested.
A person having a dry cough or any other cough persisting for 2 weeks or more is advised to see a physician for a checkup because it may be a sign of other health problems or of a more acute illness such as asthma, gastroesophageal reflux disease, heart failure, or a medicine-induced cough.
Preventing Dry Cough:
- Stay away from dry and polluted environment. Foreign substances are usually present in those places, which may cause allergy.
- Avoid cold food and drinks when in an air-conditioned building to prevent dry cough. It affects the body’s ability to adapt to the new cold condition.
- Drink plenty of water each day.
- Do not smoke and stay away from people who smoke.
- Maintain a healthy intake of vitamin C to boost your immune system.
- Take cough suppressants immediately upon persistence of early cough symptoms. These are available without a prescription.
Home Remedies for Dry Cough:
- Steam from a warm bath or shower rehydrates dry, irritated throat passages and helps stops the cough.
- Sucking of pepper corn relieves successive coughing.
- Eating apples gives a soothing relief from dry cough.
- Gargling with warm spinach juice is very helpful.
- Almonds are excellent for treating dry cough. What you can do is take 7 almonds and you soak them in water. On the next morning, you can easily peel off the brown skin and grind the almonds to form a fine powder. A tablespoon of the juice every morning can help relieve dry cough.
- Take a natural tea-based remedy. This can be a mixture of warm tea with a squirt of lemon and a tablespoon of honey. This helps to clear your throat and stop coughing.
- Slowly take a steaming cup of milk added with a tablespoon of honey before bedtime to avoid midnight coughing.
- Gradually swallowing a mixture of cumin powder mixed with clarfied butter can also cure dry cough.