Tonsillitis is acute inflammation of the tonsils or acute sore throat. Enlargement of the tonsils with repeated attacks of infection is called chronic tonsillitis.
Symptoms of tonsillitis include sore throat, difficulty in swallowing, fever and general weakness. Pain in various parts of the body, inflamed reddened tonsils and spots of pus and pain in the ear are other symptoms.
Causes Of Tonsillitis
- Toxic condition of the system and lowered vitality are main causes of tonsillitis.
- Tonsils enlarge and get inflamed when toxins are not expelled completely from normal channels of elimination.
- Chronic constipation and exposure to sudden chill are other factors.
Natural Home Remedies To Treat Tonsillitis
- Cleanse the system with proper diet and other natural methods. Water and orange juice should be taken for 5 days till serious symptoms subside.
- Administer warm water enema regularly.
- Apply cold pack around the throat every 2 hours. Wring out some linen in cold water and wrap it around the throat and then cover it with warm material.
- Neat lemon juice can be used beneficially for gargling.
- Hot Epsom salt bath daily or on alternate days is also highly beneficial.
- Gargle made from fenugreek seeds is an excellent home remedy. Add 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds to one liter of water and simmer it for 1/2 hour. Allow it to cool and use the entire quantity on the same day for gargling.
- Adopt an all-fruit diet for 3 days after the acute symptoms subside.
- Fresh pineapple is especially valuable for all throat afflictions. Gradually switch to well balanced diet.
- For breakfast take milk, fresh fruits or raw salad. Prunes or other dried fruits can be added.
- For lunch include whole wheat bread and vegetables like fenugreek and bitter gourd are good.
- At dinner time eat wholemeal bread, butter, raw salad and sprouts.
- Juice of carrot, beet and cucumber can be taken individually or in combination.
- Breathing exercises, hip bath and dry friction should be done on a regular basis.