Ticks or Chiggers are biting parasitic creatures, Chigger mites can cause allergic reactions and Ticks can cause other diseases. Ticks can transmit Lyme disease, Rocky mountain spotted fever, Colorado tick fever and tularemia.
Chigger bites is caused due to chiggers. Other name for it is red bugs. They are very tiny insects. These insects have eight legs and hence they are categorized into class called as arthropods. Other creatures which are part of this family are spiders, mites and scorpions.
Chiggers are usually found in area where there is grass and wood.
Chiggers have claws with which they feed. They can attach to the body for as long as three days and then drops off.
Symptoms Of Ticks Or Chiggers Bites
- Tick Bite–
- Visible presence of a tick in the skin relatively painless, slight stinging.
- Rashes, muscle aches and pain, onset of fever, chills and joint stiffness.
- Chigger Bite – They maybe visible in the center of the unscratched bumps; intense itching with red rash, swelling, blisters and hives may also occur.
Ticks and chiggers present in tall grass, woodsy underbrush and free-ranging pets get attached to human skin when they brush across them.
Natural Treatment For Ticks or Chiggers Bites
- For Ticks: Infectious organisms are not transferred, if the ticks are removed immediately with a pair of fine tipped tweezers.
- Use soap and water to wash the bite area.
- Pain and itching can be relieved, by applying ice packs and calamine lotion.
- For Chiggers: Don’t scratch a chigger bite, remove it with a needle or small knife and relieve the persistent itch through starch bath or calamine lotion.
How To Prevent Ticks or Chiggers?
- Ward off chiggers and ticks with insect repellent containing Deet.
- If you are hiking through mites and ticks infected areas wear light colored, tightly woven fabrics. Wear long sleeved shirt secured at the throat, wrist and waist and tuck your pants into boots or socks.
- Whenever you are in underbrush or forests inspect your clothing and skin for ticks. Later check your entire body thoroughly.
- Walk in cleared areas, in overgrown countryside.
- After the outing, shower and shampoo to remove ticks and chiggers. Check your clothes and get them washed immediately.
- If your pets have been outdoors, check them after they are back.
- During summer (when children spend a lot of time outdoors) children should be checked over daily for ticks.
Home Remedies for Chigger Bites
- Once you notice the chigger try to remove it. It generally falls off when you scratch with nails. One can also apply Vaseline or even castor oil for it removal.
- Nail polish can be used in this condition. It chokes the creature and cooling effect of nail polish is soothing to the area.
- For removing chigger one can scrub the area with brush or soap lather is applied and then it is rinsed off with water thoroughly.
- Garlic and lemon juice is also beneficial in this condition. Raw garlic is taken and it is rubbed over the area. Same is to be done if one has lemon juice (fresh). This should be done as frequently as possible.
- Epsom salt is dissolved in water. Water should be warm. Paint the bite area with preparation.
- If the quantity of bites is multiple one should sprinkle cornstarch into bathtub and soak your body into it.