Thyroid disease are of two types namely Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism.
Hypothyroidism results from the withering of the thyroid gland.
Hyperthyroidism is a result of the over activity of the thyroid gland. Women who are overworked and do not get sufficient rest are more prone to the disease.
Symptoms of Thyroid disease
- Patient with hypothyroidism slows down on his movements, gains weight, suffers from constipation and is susceptible to cold.
- Stiffness in the joints, backache, puffiness in the face, dry thickened hair and slow pulse are the other symptoms.
- Patient with hyperthyroidism sweats frequently, is weak, nervous, overactive, underweight and sensitive to heat.
- Bulged eyes, enlarged and overactive heart, rapid and irregular pulse rate, palpitation of the heart, slight tremor in the fingers and passing excessive quantity of urine are other symptoms.
Causes of Thyroid disease
- Insufficient production of thyroid hormone is the main cause of hypothyroidism.
- Inborn error of the thyroid gland and pituitary deficiency are other causes of thyroid deficiency.
- Hyperthyroidism is the result of an overactive thyroid gland that produces excess amounts of hormone.
- Heredity, physical and emotional stress are other factors.
- Wrong feeding habits over a prolonged period along with suppressive medical treatment and faulty style of living is however the real cause.
Treatment of Thyroid disease
- Cleansing of the system, a rational diet with adequate rest and relaxation is very essential. Fresh fruit juice diet should be adopted for 5 days. Spend further 3 days on milk and fruits and gradually embark onto a balanced diet.
- The patient should rest a day in bed, every week for first 2 months of treatment.
- Physical exercises can be undertaken only after symptoms subside.
- In case of hyperthyroidism, a narrow waist-compress and later a neck compress should be worn for 5 nights a week. This helps absorption of food, balance is restored, constant hunger reduces and there is gradual increase in weight.
- Fleshy and greasy foods, tea and coffee, condiments, alcohol, white flour and sugar should be avoided.
- Emotional upset and physical exertion should be avoided.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables should comprise half the daily intake of foods.
- Whole-wheat products and potatoes provide starch element; lentils, peas, beans, nuts and cheese provide protein.
- Adhere to the diet strictly for a year for beneficial results.