What causes Throat congestion
Throat congestion usually affects the pharynx and tonsils. The pharynx connects the back of the mouth and nose to the esophagus and larynx. Throat congestion is usually the result of a viral infection, such as common cold or infectious mononucleosis. Other causes include bacterial infections such as streptococci bacteria and fungal infection such as candidiasis and also smoking and alcohol consumption.
Straining the voice can also lead to throat congestion when shouting.
Irritants including smoke, dust, fumes, very hot foods and drinks, abrasions, tooth and gum infections can also cause throat congestion.
Prevent Sore Throat and Throat congestion
- Drink plenty of fluids like fruit and vegetable juices, soup and lots of water. Take bed rest if the condition is viral, it is required for early recovery.
- Gargle with saltwater (1/2 teaspoon sea salt in a cup of hot water) and every few hours alternately gargle with chlorophyll liquid and saltwater.
- Include vitamin C in the diet. Vitamin C along with complete rest and gargling may eliminate the throat congestion by the second day.
- Avoid cold food and drinks. Oily and rich fatty food is also to be completely avoided.
- Moving outside in the cold climate should be avoided.
Home remedies for Throat Congestion
- Add 5 to 7 teaspoons of licorice root pieces to about three cups water. Bring it to boil and simmer until half the water is boiled away. Cool down the decoction thus prepared and drink it twice a day.
- Garlic is a powerful home remedy for relieving throat congestion. It is both anti-viral and anti-bacterial. It can be chewed or juice extracted from it can be taken orally. One teaspoon twice or thrice a day depending upon the severity of throat congestion should be taken. Crush 4 garlic cloves and boil in a cup of water and gargle with it.
- Mix ginger extract with lemon juice and honey and take two teaspoons of this preparation two times a day. Add 2 teaspoons of this preparation to a cup of hot water and use it for gargling.
- Eucalyptus is used for treating throat congestion. The aromatic oil has a cooling effect in the inflamed tissue of throat and the tannins exert soothing astringent action. Add a few teaspoons of crushed leaf per cup of boiling water and drink it.