Swelling of feet and ankle is to be thoroughly investigated as the illness may range from small sprain to arthritis (arthritis refers to at least 25 different diseases, the most common being rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and gouty arthritis).
Some of the common causes of swelling in feet and ankle are:
- Hereditary factor: In this case the foot is probably in a state of relatively rapid evolution consequent upon man’s assumption of the upright posture and perhaps for that reason it is prone to variations in structure and form which may impair its efficiency.
- Postural stresses: Overweight throws an increased burden on the feet and they may be unable to withstand the stress without ill-effect, especially if the intrinsic muscles are poorly developed.
- Footwear: The wearing of shoes is a potent cause of foot disorders. Many types of shoe interfere seriously with the mechanics of the foot and the ladies shoe with high heel and pointed toe is particularly to responsible for the swelling.
The occupation and habits of the patient or a history of previous injury may be significant.
Natural Remedies for Swollen Feet and Ankles
In case the swelling is not due to any of the above given causes, the following home remedies can be tried for relief in swelling in feet and ankle joint.
- A confection made from garlic powder which is mixed with 15ml of castor oil may be taken internally for relief from painful ankle joint for 40 days continuously.
- Heated castor leaves may be applied over the painful joint and foot. This helps in relieving pain.
- Mustard oil mixed with onion juice may be applied on the affected ankle joint.
- Mag-sulph is boiled in water till the preparation turns thick and is applied on the foot and ankle. This helps in reducing the swelling on the foot quickly. It should be continued for at least 3 to 4 days.
- Keep the legs elevated while sleeping and take rest as far as possible because be ankle being a weight bearing joint and due to gravity edema sets in and the healing process becomes slow.