Question: Hello doctor, I have problem of my hair graying prematurely. Can you please tell me how can I stop it? Please suggest me some natural treatment and home remedies to get rid of my graying hair.
Can you answer following questions?
- What is your age?
- What is your present hair care regimen?
- Can you tell me your diet and food habits in detail?
Hair loses its natural color with age but the premature graying is a disorder. Once the hair root gets de-pigmented, regaining natural color is not possible. What, is possible, though, is to limit the progress of the disease.
- Hair is composed of cells similar to our skin and is supplied with nutrition through sebaceous glands that secret oily substance called sebum. This is the source of nutrition, luster and blackness for the hair. Deficiency of micro-nutrients deteriorates the quality of sebum, which in turn affects the color and texture of hair.
- In addition, irregular diet, work related stress, apprehensions, family pressures and anguish, unfavorably affect the scalp and hair root causing de-pigmentation to occur prematurely. Heredity is a factor which is unalterable.
- Unclean and grimy condition of the scalp and hair, which makes the hair susceptible to dandruff.
- Hair care products such as shampoos, conditioners, gels, mousse, styling agents should be used in moderation. These products contain harsh chemicals, which damage the hair.
Natural Remedies For Premature Gray Hair
The importance of right eating cannot be overemphasized in the prevention and treatment of graying. Vitamins are an important micro-nutrient group, essential to maintain the health of the hair. They protect the hair and prevent premature graying.
- Consuming one bowl of curd each day has beneficial effects.
- Ensure consumption of other micro-nutrients like copper, iron, iodine, etc. Common sources for these include fish, beet, dates, green leafy vegetables and fresh fruits. Using supplements capsules is advisable.
- Scalp Massage with Goose berry juice is recommended as it stimulates the scalp and prevents graying.