Sore throat is very common complaint where there is inflammation of the throat. Sore throat is due to inflammation of the pharynx. Usually this is a common feature in viral attack or flu. This inflammation can also affect the adjoining structures such as tonsils and adenoids.
In some cases larynx can also be affected resulting in hoarseness of voice. Fever may be present in viral condition. Sore throat is a common feature among people who use their voice more often (teacher) or abuse of the voice.
Main cause of sore throat is common cold and flu.Some time it can be an associated symptom of sinusitis, diphtheria, and measles and in a very rare case cancer.
Natural Remedies To Cure And Prevent Sore Throat & Swollen Glands
- Gargles should be done with hot water (add some salt to it) several times in a day. Eat simple and warm food so there is very less irritation of the throat. Take a well-balanced diet. Walk in fresh air but avoid if the atmosphere is cold as it might aggravate this condition.
- Tea leaves are very beneficial in treating sore throat. Tea leaves are boiled in 500 ml of water till the amount is reduced to half its original amount. This preparation is then used as gargles several times in a day. A pinch of salt can be added to this preparation.
- Cinnamon is an effective home remedy. Cinnamon is grounded and this powder is boiled in water (a glass of it). To this a pinch of salt and pepper powder is added. Two teaspoons of honey can also be added to it. Now the preparation is ready. This can be taken two to three times depending upon the severity of the sore throat.
- Liquorice also helps in treating sore throat. It is an olden day’s remedy in this condition. Raw Liquorice can be chewed or juice of it should be extracted. This juice can be added to green tea and taken. This helps in decreasing the inflammation of the pharynx.
- Mango bark is valuable in treatment of sore throat. Mango bark fluid is extracted. This extract can be applied locally for relieving inflammation. For preparing gargle mix 10 ml of extract with 100 ml of water and use it for gargles.