A flea bite results in the formation of a skin lesion that is tiny, somewhat hard, red-colored, raised, and itchy, with mild swelling.
Bleeding may occur, if the flea-bitten area is scratched. A puncture point caused due to the bite is apparent in the center of each skin lesion.
Human fleas generally inhabit in the scalp hairs. They are blood sucking parasites. They do not have wings and they are tiny in size.
Among several types of fleas, human flea variety is known a pulex irritans. Human fleas are also found in domestic pets such as dogs, cats, and on pigs.Persons working in pig farm are at more risk of human flea menace.
Home Remedies for Treating Flea Bites
Flea bite on the skin can cause itchy, reddish discoloration of the skin along with some burning. This is a common symptom where there is damp surrounding and too much of humidity in the air.
- One of the important symptoms of flea bites is itching and this has to be relieved first. For this one should rub raw garlic on the area of flea bite. Do this as often as possible. One can also use lemon juice for this purpose. Damp salt can also be used as a rub on the flea bite region.
- Plantain leaves are useful in this treating flea bites. A poultice is prepared from crushed plantain leaves and is used as external application or poultice over the area. One can apply this three to four times in a day. One can rub the freshly picked leaves on the area.
- Charcoal tablets which are available in food stores should be crushed and placed on the area. This should be covered with a cloth. Charcoal helps in reducing swelling and pain.
- Clay or mud can also be used if you are in woods. Wet some mud and put it on. Leave it on for 1/2 an hour and rinse it off. Try to collect the mud from clean place.
- Epsom salt is also used for flea bites. Cover the flea bite portion with Epsom salt dissolved in warm water. One can also add lemon juice or vinegar or eucalyptus oil to it.
- Keep the affected area clean. Wash the area with an anti-septic lotion. Use cold water. Do not use warm water, since it aggravates the itching and inflammation.
- Apply an ice pack over the bite to decrease swelling.
- Do not scratch the area; it increases the chances of secondary infections.
- 1% hydrocortisone cream application is recommended. It reduces inflammation quickly. Instead of hydrocortisone, one could also apply calamine lotion.
Flea bites heal speedily and show a drastic improvement in a day or two. However, if the condition worsens, a visit to the physician becomes necessary. A course of anti-biotics and a steroid injection may be required to bring about cure.
Prevention is also as important as home remedies as there are again chances of flea bites if the surrounding is such-
- Add three to four tablespoon of bleach to a tub bath and soak your self for 10-15min in it. This will help you from flea bites for a day or two.
- Eat lots of garlic especially raw and brewer’s yeast should be added to your diet.
- Avoid sugar in any form and white flour.
- Wear clothing which covers your body amply.