Acidity Relief Natural Remedies
Acidity is a condition wherein the stomach has excess secretions of acids from gastric glands. Normally, the stomach has acids that are important in our digestive system. We only need a normal level of acids to aid proper digestion of complex foods. Food is not digested properly when there are less acid secretions, while an excess of acid secretions will result to this condition.
This condition may lead to peptic ulcer disorders if this is not given proper attention. Excessive smoking and drinking of alcohol are major causes of acidity.
Having a healthy eating lifestyle is the best way to prevent acidity. Here are some tips on how to have a normal acid level.
- Drink plenty of water and eat green, leafy vegetables.
- Eat foods that are rich in carbohydrates. These foods are digested without the need for a lot of acid secretions in the stomach.
- Inappropriate eating habits and high consumption of fat, sugar, and salt often leads to acidity.
- Avoid eating fried and spicy foods on regular basis.
- Avoid eating foods that are high in acidic content such as pickles, tamarinds, and vinegar.
- Don’t skip your meals. Make sure to take your meals on time and avoid staying hungry for long hours. Eat dinner a few hours before bedtime to allow proper digestion.
- Avoid eating foods that are rich in protein and calcium at night.
- Lessening the intake of coffee, tea, garlic, onions and strong chocolates may also help reduce the chances of developing acidity.
Treatment for Acidity
Here are some commonly used home remedies for acidity:
- Eat sufficient amount of fruits that are known to give natural remedies for acidity. Watermelon, papaya, banana and cucumbers are examples of such.
- Coconut water is also a natural remedy for this condition. Drink this for 4-5 times a day as this soothes gastric irritation.
- Another fast relief of heartburn and acidity can be achieved by drinking a glass of cold milk.
- Instant acid relief may be obtained by drinking a glass of orange or pineapple juice that has little salt in it.
- Drinking green tea during afternoon meals also helps reduce acid levels in body.
- Drinking 1-2 glasses of water early in the morning may give you relief from acidity. Intake of simple cold water with added sugar can bring down the acidity level. However, this should be a precaution for diabetic patients not to use this remedy as it may give high sugar levels and may harm their bodies.