Popping of ear or popping sound of the ear drum is common in recurrent pharyngitis where the Eustachian tube gets blocked and open visa versa causing the popping sensation. Pharyngitis refers to the inflammation of the pharynx or back of the throat. It commonly occurs when a person has recurrent cold or flu (influenza). Other less common causes are sinusitis, measles, diphtheria etc.
Pharyngitis may involve surrounding tonsils, larynx and Eustachian tube along with it causing pain in throat, change or hoarseness of voice and popping of ears respectively. Fever may be present in severe cases.
How To Prevent Ears From Popping?
- Keep away from those infected with cold. Wash your hands often.
- Eat a well-balanced diet. Take plenty of hot beverages as this will help in opening of the passages such as Eustachian tube and nasal passage.
- Drink plenty of fluids as it helps in drainage of secretions.
- Get some fresh air by going for a walk in open air and relieving the body heat.
Natural Remedies For Popping Of Ears
- Bishop’s weed is a valuable remedy in treating a complaint of popping ears. This should be taken as infusion of the seeds which is mixed with common salt.
- Holy basil or Basil leaves are found to be beneficial in this condition. Basil leaves are boiled in water and this is taken as gargle and internally as a drink as well.
- Sage is another effective remedy for popping of ears. Half liter of boiling water is poured in handful of leaves of sage. This is kept till the water becomes lukewarm. Water is then extracted from this preparation. To it little vinegar and honey is added for taste. This is used internally as a drink as well as gargle. Internally it can be taken twice a day and gargle should be done 3 to 4times in a day.
- Liquorice or root of glycyrrhiza, is also effective in this condition. Raw liquorice can be chewed or sucked for treating this condition. It has properties to reduce inflammation and helps in opening of the Eustachian tube.