- I have plugged ears and dizziness from last few days, what can be possible cause of plugged ears? Also I feel lightheaded, is this indicating any illness?
- Can you please suggest some home remedies and treatment to get rid of my plugged ears and dizziness?
Causes and Remedies for Plugged Ears and Dizziness
- Plugged ears are most commonly associated with allergies, common colds and sinus/nasal infections. However there are many other causes that are associated with plugging sensation of the ears.
- Ear Wax: excessive collection of earwax in the ear canal can result in plugging of the ears. Earwax is essential to prevent dust and bugs from entering our ears, however excessive collection of earwax not only impairs hearing but also may cause pain and infection and even damage the eardrum. Use of wax remover eardrops will hasten the removal of wax from the ears.
- Eustachian Catarrh: The Eustachian tubes connects the middle ear to the back of the nose and controls air flow and equalizes pressure. Obstruction of the middle ear produces too much pressure in the ear canal and this creates a sensation of plugging of the ears. Simple decongestants or nasal sprays can clear this problem.
- Otitis Externa: Infection of the outer ear canal is common among frequent swimmers or is associated with frequent showering. These conditions cause excess moisture and promote an infection.
- High Blood Pressure: Systemic problems like high blood pressure is often accompanied with plugged ears. With elevated blood pressures, patients experience throbbing in the ear canal.
- Barotitis Media: This condition occurs most commonly among sky dive, scuba dive or mountain climbers.
- Plugging of ears is associated with the dizziness and pain in the year. It is a self-limiting condition and clears out within a few hours or a few days. To unblock the ears, simply pinch your nose and try to push air through the back of your nose into your ears.
- It is suggested that people with persistent problem should avoid air travel, scuba diving, swimming, etc or ensure use of cotton plugs which undertaking these activities.