One of the most common causes for bleeding from anus is piles. Piles or Hemorrhoids is the inflammation of anorectal veins (blood vessels). They are similar to varicose veins that you see in legs. Piles can be described in two categories, internal and external. In case of internal piles there is discharge of dark blood and in external piles there is lot of pain.
Tough disturbing and discomforting, piles in most cases is not a serious health problem. However, it is necessary to seek medical treatment for piles. The reason for it is to stop excessive blood loss, to treat blood clots and to reduce pain if present.
Symptoms Of Piles Or Hemorrhoids
- Piles can be of two varieties, external piles and internal piles. External piles remain asymptomatic unless it is ruptured or thrombosis (clot in the vein) occurs. In either case, the patient complains of pain in anus region or formation of lump. Pain is often felt after straining. Pain on passing stools, soreness and irritation after passing stools, slight bleeding, discomfort and itching in the rectal region and inability of the patient to sit comfortably are the usual symptoms. Pain remains for 4 to 5 days and then resolves after few days.
- Internal piles present with painless bleeding from rectum. The blood is bright red. It usually occurs with or after bowel movement. Blood appears on the outside of stool or drips into the bowl. Prolapse of piles with defecation is a common symptom of internal piles.
- Chronic prolapse is associated with mucus discharge, fecal staining of underclothes and itching.
- Internal hemorrhoids are more common with increasing age.
Main Causes Of Hemorrhoids
Chronic constipation and other bowel disorders are the primary cause of piles. The pressure exerted to evacuate constipated stools and the congestion due to constipation, use of purgatives and weak lining of the rectum are other factors.
Obesity, general weakness of the tissues of the body, strenuous work, prolonged sitting or standing are other causes.
Piles are more common during pregnancy. Mental tension and heredity are other factors.
Natural Remedies For Hemorrhoids Or Piles
- Adopt an all-fruit diet for 7 days. Then adopt a diet of natural foods to soften stools.
- Dried figs are excellent for piles. Soak 3 to 4 figs overnight in water. They should be taken on empty stomach along with soaked water. They should be taken in evenings also. Continue this for 3 to 4 weeks. The tiny seeds of the fruits facilitate easy evacuation.
- Syzygium cumini (jambul) fruit is an effective remedy for bleeding piles. The fruit should be taken with salt every morning during its season. Follow this every year and bleeding piles will be cured for life.
- Mango seeds are regarded as natural cure for bleeding piles. The seeds should be dried, powdered and about 1 to 2 grams of the powder should be taken with honey.
- White radish is also beneficial. Grated radish with honey relieves the condition. Well-grated white radish should be applied to inflamed pile masses to relieve pain and swelling.
- Drink at least 6 to 8 glasses of water a day. Cold hipbaths and cold compress applied to rectal area for an hour before bedtime helps cure piles.
- Walking, swimming and yoga improve circulation in the rectal region and relieves congestion.
- Avoid eating too much of salty food. Excess salt in food retains fluid in the body. It causes bulging of veins in anus and elsewhere.