Obesity is one of the biggest killers in modern world. The problem is not limited only among the developed countries but since last few decades obesity has also spread its tentacles in developing countries. The main concern for growing obese is lack of awareness of eating healthy and nutritious diet among masses. It is accompanied with lifestyle changes.
Obesity definitely reduces lifespan and should be considered a serious health issue. Diseases such as hypertension, diabetes, coronary artery disease and cerebral atherosclerosis are co –related to obesity. Obesity is a lifelong disease and an obese person must be explained again and again that diet and exercise have to be continued throughout life.
Twenty percent above the ideal body weight for a person’s height and bone structure is where obesity starts. Obesity can occur at any age. No one is spared from being obese. Reduction in body weight has been a challenge for all obese individuals who desire to lose weight either for health reasons or from a cosmetic point of view. Let us review the causes of obesity and the ways to treat it naturally.
What Are The Main Causes Of Obesity?
The factors responsible for obesity are complex and varied. The reason for obesity is excess deposition of fat in the body.
Men as well as women both can be affected. Children too can be obese. Below are given the etiological factors responsible for a person to become obese:
- Hereditary and genetics: A person’s risk of becoming obese increases due to inheritance of some abnormal gene. Having these genes in the body causes abnormal hunger and hence there is tendency to eat more. In a family where both the parents are obese, their children have increased tendency to become obese. The worst situation arises when such families have wrong food habits.
- Physiological causes: Certain critical period demands more energy requirement for growth and development such as during adolescent years, pregnancy and lactation, and during childhood. During this period a person eats more. However, after this period if the diet pattern remains the same there is gradual gain in weight.
- Psychological causes: Stress, depression, anger, boredom, anxiety, frustration, and rejection can lead to abnormal eating pattern. Such situational psychological factors can affect metabolic process and result in decreased level of glucose in circulating blood, which may trigger increased desire to eat. The tendency to overeat continues even after the person passes off from this phase.
- Socio economic reasons: People having high economic status may eat expensive high calorie food such as ice cream, chocolates, pastries, dry fruits, cold drinks etc. These people usually have minimal physical activity which also contributes for overweight.
Other reasons contributing to obesity include growing age, living sedentary life, eating fast food instead of normal nutritious diet, lack of exercise etc.
Dietary Changes For Obesity And Weight Loss
Treating obesity though challenging is not as difficult as it is thought to be. The most important single requirement for managing obesity is a person’s willingness and commitment for adopting ways to reduce weight. He should be made to understand that there are no short cuts to reduce weight.
Diet to prevent and cure obesity
- Diet should be well balanced consisting of all nutrients.
- Instead of eating three large meals, person should spread the required calorie intake into 4 to 5 smaller meals.
- Always take dinner two hours before retiring to bed.
- Eat vegetables and salads liberally. Salad made from tomato, cabbage, carrot fills the stomach and reduces hunger.
- Avoid eating substances prepared from white bread and white flour.
- Drink warm water instead of cold water.
- Omit sugar and starch food from diet initially and later on take it in lesser amount.
- Drink coffee and tea without sugar.
- Avoid eating fast food and fried food.
- Use olive oil or sesame oil for cooking purpose.
- Add spices in your food. Turmeric, black pepper, red pepper, ginger increases metabolic activity and thereby utilize the fats stored in excess.
- Eat small portion of meat and chicken.
- Honey is considered an effective home remedy for losing weight. Add one teaspoon of honey in a glass of warm water. Add a teaspoon of lime juice and a dash of black pepper. Take this after a while when you get up in the morning.
- A tea made from ginger herb is an excellent natural remedy to reduce weight.
- Eat 8 to 10 curry leaves in the morning. Curry leaves are well known for reducing weight.
- Tea prepared from mint is also an excellent natural remedy for those obese who want to lose weight.
Exercises To Reduce Weight
Exercise along with dietary management is an ideal combination for losing weight. It decreases abdominal fat and increases metabolic activity. Exercise also increases strength and endurance in an obese person.
The first step is a daily walk for 30 minutes. Then person can resume other exercise such as swimming, cycling, dancing etc. For successful reduction in weight, regular physical exercise is of utmost importance.
Before beginning any exercise, it is necessary to consult the physician to ensure fitness of the body.