What is Low Platelet Count?
What does having a low blood platelet count mean? What are the causes of low blood platelet levels?
- A low blood platelet count or level implies your blood does not have the normal clotting abilities. In other words, when you bleed, the platelet are responsible for the blood clots that helps stop the bleeding. Now that your bloods platelet count has dropped, you will take longer for the bleeding to stop which could prove fatal. Low platelet levels also mean that blood ability to fight infections also go down (immunity level reduces) make you susceptible to diseases which otherwise your blood would have easily fought off.
- The medical name of platelets is thrombocytes. The condition where blood does not clot normally due to low platelet count is called thrombocytopenia.
- Anything that can cause bleeding should be avoided when a person has a low blood platelet count.
Some Doctors say low platelet count with mild low grade fever is usually a sign of viral infection to which body has not responded adequately. But till the count is within the lowest tolerable limit and there are no signs of other complications, it is best to watch and repeat counts every day. There are no specific drugs to get your platelet count back to normal levels.Rest, adequate sleep, good diet are the only treatment known so far.
Causes of Low Blood Platelet Count
Some of the reasons for a drop in blood platelets are:
- The bone marrow does not produce enough platelets.
- A condition where the body uses and destroys platelets even when the marrow produces enough.
- A problematic spleen could also deplete the platelets from your blood.
- Illnesses that damage a person’s stem cells can also be blamed for a low platelet count. This includes illnesses like lymphoma, leukemia, and AIDS.
- Certain treatments like chemotherapy and radiation therapy also reduce the platelets.
- Alcohol abuse, Chemical exposure is another probable reason for this problem.
- Dengue fever decreases the amount of white blood cells, exposing you to illness. The classic dengue fever lasts for about 6-7 days. The platelet count will drop till body temperature comes to normal.
Natural Treatment For Low Platelet Count
Here are some tips on how thrombocytopenia can be prevented and treated:
- The most common cure for low blood platelet count is prescribed medication like prednisone and immunoglobulin. These are often administered intravenously or through injections. Prednisone dosage for adults varies based on individual health.
- Blood transfusions can also be used to increase a person’s platelet counts.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Medicines that were the cause of your low blood platelet level should also be avoided if these are not that necessary for you to take. You can ask your doctor to give you alternate medication.
- Kiwi fruit may helps increase platelet count along with sweet lime juice and juice of papaya’s stem.