The citrus fruit lemon is an exceptional gift of nature to human beings. In fact lemon is the third important species of citrus fruit after orange and mandarin. People use lemon and its juice in various ways. They add it in food preparations, salad and even drink freshly prepared juice. After extracting the juice, usually we throw away the peel in waste. Very few people know about several benefits of lemon peel. Hence, the next time when you extract lemon juice, do not throw away the peel. Utilize it as it is beneficial for your health.Let us know some of the health benefits of lemon peel and its extract.
Benefits of Lemon Peel:
The skin of lemon or the peel as it called is not only adds flavor and spreads aroma to your food and drink but is also an important source of vitamins and minerals besides its fiber content. It is rich source of pectin and phenols. It contains several minerals such as calcium, iron, potassium, phosphorus, flavanoids, copper, zinc, and manganese. Flavanoids are potent antioxidants that help the body to fight against free radicals circulating in the body.Free radicals when in excess are responsible for many health consequences including cancer.
- Lemon peel for bone and teeth: The high amount of calcium and vitamin C present in lemon peel is beneficial for strengthening bones and teeth. It is beneficial to prevent bone related conditions such as osteoporosis and gum swelling.
- Lemon skin is healthy food for skin health. Dry lemon skin in sun and grind it to fine powder. Mix the powder with lemon juice and apply over dry scaly area. The citric acid present in it cleanses and brightens the skin. It brings natural glow and softness to the skin.
- Reduces oxidative stress: Lemon peel contains flavanoids. They are antioxidants that help to fight oxidative stress caused by free radicals in the body. Constant oxidative stress can lead to many serious chronic conditions affecting kidney, liver, and other vital organs.
- Cancer fighter: Lemon rind or peel contains two elements called salvestrol and limonene. Both this elements in their natural form fight cancer producing cells. It also prevents development of cancerous cells.
- Detoxification: Just like lemon juice, few lemon peels included in your food or drink helps to flush off toxins present in the system.
- Reduction of cholesterol: Regular intake of lemon peel is known to reduce cholesterol level in the body. High cholesterol, especially LDL cholesterol increases risk for heart diseases and hypertension. Lemon peel intake in any form can be valuable in preventing any catastrophic heart event. The polyphenols present in lemon peel works to reduce cholesterol.
- Potassium in lemon Peel: Adequate amount of potassium in lemon peel is beneficial for heart health. Potassium is necessary to maintain optimum blood pressure.
- Good for teeth and gums: Vitamin C and calcium present in lemon peel is effective in maintaining oral hygiene. It prevents gum diseases such as gingivitis, and bleeding of gums.
- Weight loss: Lemon peel contains pectin. Pectin is involved in weight loss. So if you are obese and intending to lose weight, try lemon skin.
How to Eat Lemon Peel:
Keep lemons in the freezer. Once they freez, grate the outer lemon skin. Keep it in a dry container and store the crumbs. You can add these crumbs of lemon grind to tea, salads, food preparations etc. You can also grind the peels and make powder once they completely dry. Store this powder in a bottle. Add the powder to food and drinks whenever needed.