What Causes Leg Ulcers or Leg Blisters
Leg blisters and leg ulcers are common features if one has poor blood circulation in the legs. The flow is restricted and poorly nourished skin tissue can become ulcerated. The poor circulation restricts the open sore to very slow healing. Open sores which develop on deteriorated patches of skin. Other causes are varicose veins and or thrombophlebitis (swelling of veins). When veins in the legs stop functioning properly, venous ulcers can result. Blood in not returning to the heart as it should, the skin above the veins becomes inflamed and sores develop.Venous ulcers are generally located on the lower 1/3rd part of the leg.
Arterial ulcers are different. An embolism or atherosclerotic plaque blocks the proper flow of blood through an artery, causing circulation problem and ulcer on bony areas around the feet and ankles.
Diabetes is also one of the important factors in circulation problem and diabetic ulcers are common on the skin surface of the legs.
Prevention of Blisters or Leg Ulcers
- Prop up those legs. Elevating your legs will offer your relief from pain. Resting your legs may also make you feel better.
- Release the heat. Your legs will feel better if, early on, you use a heating pad. This will also allow increased circulation to that part.
- Improve your diet and way of life. Eat fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes and nuts but do not overeat.
- Avoid sugary, fatty, starchy, fried and processed foods. Do not use caffeine, alcohol or tobacco and if over weight, reduce it.
Home Remedies for Blisters or Leg Ulcers
- Garlic improves blood circulation. One should take 3 to 4 garlic cloves every day. Cut raw garlic into tiny pieces and put the minced pieces at the blister area for few days. Garlic powder is also available which can be sprinkled twice a day on that area.
- Vitamin C also helps in improving blood circulation and healing of leg blisters and ulcers. Richest source are guavas, red sweet peppers, parsley, turnip greens, broccoli, brussels sprouts and all fresh fruits and vegetables, especially green leafy.
- Decoction is prepared with rhizome and roots of knee holly. It can be useed as a lotion for local application and it will help invigorate the tissues, promote venous circulation and reduce cellulites.
- Take a full multivitamin supplement.