Lamisil Treatment for Toenail Fungus
Toenail infection may be painful, and it may also cause permanent damage to the nails. There are instances where the fungal infection will spread beyond the feet especially if the immune system is suppressed as in the case of diabetes and other conditions.
Toenail fungal infection is relatively risky for diabetic people and those with weak immune system. If the nerve supply and circulation to the feet is impaired, even a minor injury like a fungal infection can cause some serious complications.
Preventing Toenail Fungal Infection
The only way to prevent fungal infection and its recurrence is to practice good hygiene especially of the hand and feet.
- The fingernails and toenails should be cut short, and the in-betweens must be kept dry and clean after bathing.
- Choose socks that are made from synthetic fiber since they can make the feet dryer as compared to socks made from wool or cotton. Change socks once it is wet with sweat.
- Shoes should be taken off occasionally in the course of the day and after doing some exercise. Try to wear closed-toe shoes alternately with open-toed shoes. An antifungal powder or spray for the feet is highly recommended.
- If your hands have to be exposed to water, wear some dry rubber gloves.
- Do not over-trim the nails to prevent the germs to gain access to the skin.
- Always wear shoes when in public shower, pools, and locker rooms.
Medication for Toenail Fungus
- Lamisil is a nail fungal treatment that is effective and actually works. This oral tablet may not come cheap, but its effectiveness is worth every penny spent. This powerful drug really kills fungus and it works really fast.
- Topical ointments and creams may have difficulty penetrating the inside of the nail bed, which is also why treatment is not so much effective. The fungus uses the nail for protection so that when topical solutions are applied to the toenails, a big part of it goes to the nails first.
- Lamisil is taken once each day for the next twelve weeks. After a few weeks, the fungal infection may appear to be eradicated, but it is important to complete the medication. In this manner, you are assured that the fungus is completely killed and recurrence is no longer possible.
- The effectiveness of Lamisil tablet may differ from person to person and depends on the severity of the infection.
- You would know if the fungus is really gone once a new and fresh toenail grows.