Honey is one of nature’s best gifts to mankind. Honey possesses unique nutritional and medicinal properties. This sweet edible “Gold” is viscid and it is exclusively prepared by honeybees. Semi -translucent liquid having light yellow or brown color has fascinated cultures from dawn of time. Hippocrates the father of medicine prescribed it 2000 years ago to his patients.
Raw, unprocessed honey is most nutritious and is best for its therapeutic value as a medicinal agent. Honey contains glucose, sucrose and fructose. The natural sugars present in honey provide instant energy when the person is tired. Dextrine present in honey facilitates easy digestion.One tablespoon of raw honey provides 63 calories. Besides being a store house of energy, it also contains vitamins, minerals and trace elements. Let us know the benefits of honey.
Health Benefits And Medicinal Uses Of Honey
Honey is the finest source of energy and heat. Since honey is an easily digestible carbohydrate, it provide instant source of energy.
- Anemia: Honey contains iron. It is therefore a useful remedy for increasing hemoglobin.
- Respiratory ailments: The remarkable bactericidal, anti-allergenic, anti inflammatory and expectorant properties found in honey makes it an effective remedy for respiratory diseases. It is beneficial in respiratory diseases such as asthma, bronchitis, allergic rhinitis and sinusitis. It brings relief whether the air flowing above honey is inhaled or whether it is eaten or taken either in milk or water.
- Irritating cough: The use of honey is highly beneficial in treatment of irritating cough. Its soothing qualities on the inflamed mucus membrane relieve the patient of irritating cough and difficulty in swallowing.
- Insomnia: The natural hypnotic action of honey provides sound sleep. One teaspoon of honey has to be taken in warm water before going to bed.
- Hair growth: A mixture of one teaspoon of honey and one teaspoon of alcohol when massaged on the scalp stimulates the hair follicle to grow into luxuriant tresses.
- Oral health: When applied on teeth and gums, it cleanses and makes them glowing. It prevents tartar formation, thus reduces the risk of decay and early falling of the teeth.
- Stomach: The digestive properties present in honey due to several digestive enzymes present in it make honey a good choice for preventing nausea, vomiting and heart burn. It boosts healing of gastrointestinal ulcers.
- Honey is useful for people who have low sperm count. It is a great sexual stimulant. It has substance that influences the fertility of women and virility of men.
- Honey is a gentle laxative.
Benefits Of Honey On Skin
The anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties make honey a good choice for many skin ailments. Honey is an effective remedy in treating wounds and sores. Chronic skin ulcers heal fast when honey is applied over it for a prolonged period of time. To treat cracked lips, apply a mixture of fresh cream milk and honey with 2 to 3 rose water drops on the cracked lip.
For treating burns, mix honey and turmeric powder. Apply the prepared paste over the burn area. Apply honey on pimples everyday for a week. After a week, pimple vanishes or reduces in its size.