Heart disease is number one killer in western world. In fact it has become a lifestyle disease in over- fed and under-exercised society. With recent medical advancement and awareness among masses there has been slight reduction of the incidences of heart diseases. But still it remains on the top of the list of causes of death. Simple lifestyle changes and home remedies can reach far way in improving and preventing heart ailments. Let us know the types of heart disease and how to cure them with home remedies.
Human heart is a fist shaped organ situated in middle of chest. It is made up of muscles. On an average the heart weighs 320 grams in men and 270 grams in women. Heart acts as a pump and it supplies blood and oxygen to each and every cell of the body through a network of blood vessels. For its nourishment, heart too requires blood and it is provided through channel of arteries called coronary arteries.
Types Of Heart Diseases
Heart diseases can be divided into inherent and acquired. Children are born with defective heart in inherent heart ailments. Age is an important factor, certain diseases such as acute pericarditis and endocarditis are diseases of youth while degenerative heart diseases appear later in life. These include arteriosclerosis, aneurism and changes in valve, especially aortic valve.
Heart attack has now become common term. It occurs when the flow of blood is compromised in coronary arteries. The arteries get narrowed due to blockage produced by fatty substance or a clot, the medical word is arteriosclerosis.
Often angina or ischemia (stabbing chest pain for few minutes) is important indication and preludes a full blown heart attack. Person recognizing it may prevent an impending heart attack. In many cases heart attack can be serious and potentially deadly. At times heart attack can be silent (without producing any symptoms) and in such cases it leads to sudden death.
Signs And Symptoms Of Heart Disease
The primary evaluation of any cardiac disease is based on certain symptoms, they are;
- Difficulty in breathing: Patient complains of breathlessness on exertion. Paroxysm of breathlessness at night while he is sleeping. It is accompanied with cough that is white or pink and frothy, sweating and rapid heartbeat.
- Chest pain or pain in either arm is due to impaired flow of blood in the coronary arteries. The site of pain is in the middle of chest, on the left side, or radiating to left arm and neck. This pain is referred as angina pectoris. It is stabbing and suffocating pain. The precipitating factors are exertion, climbing stairs, going uphill, anger, excitement or sudden exposure to cold.
- Frequent perspiration.
- Palpitation is consciousness of heart beating. This may be due to enlarged and hyper dynamic heart as seen in mitral and aortic valve disease.
- Syncope is transient loss of consciousness. Patient faints due to impairment of blood circulation in brain as a result of low output of blood from heart.
- Cold hands and feet.
- Fatigue is caused due to low cardiac output. This leads to poor supply of blood to the muscles.
- Hoarseness of voice is seen in mitral valve disease.
- Difficulty in swallowing can be due to enlargement which compresses the esophagus.
Risk Factors For Heart Disease
- Wrong feeding habits
- Faulty style of living
- Lack of physical exercise
- Smoking and alcohol
- High levels of cholesterol
- Fatty substances and triglycerides.
- Metabolic disorders like diabetes, high protein diet and high B.P.
Natural Remedies To Prevent Heart Disease
- Avoid eating animal foods as they contain saturated fats which are linked to high cholesterol and heart disease. Beef, pork, poultry, cheese, butter, and other dairy products contain saturated fats in high amount. Avoiding eating such foods can reduce cholesterol and also cures existing heart ailment.
- People having heart problems should try as much as possible to eat vegetarian diet. As they have less calories and also less sodium content. Consuming vegetables, fruits, whole-grains and seeds is beneficial.
- Research suggests eating garlic lowers cholesterol. Eating garlic daily is known to prevent heart attack. It breaks cholesterol in the blocked arteries. If a patient who has suffered from heart attacks consumes garlic, his cholesterol level will come down. The damage to heart muscles that has been done may not be repaired but further risk of heart attacks can be curtailed.
- Grapes are known to be beneficial in treating heart ailments. It contains antioxidants and natural chemicals that tone the heart muscles. It is effective in angina pains and palpitation of the heart. Grape juice is valuable when a person is suffering from heart attack.
- Onion helps to make the blood thin. Benefit of onion is due to presence of essential oil aliypropyl disulfide, catechol, thiocyanate etc. Therefore, onions are valuable in heart disease as they correct thrombosis and also reduce blood cholesterol.
- Vitamin E is effective in improving heart circulation. It is found plenty in cabbage leaves and green leafy vegetables.
- Honey is considered as the best food for heart. Regular intake of honey by heart patients reduces cardiac pain and heart palpitation.
- Coconut water, pineapple, oranges contain plenty of potassium and this mineral is beneficial for keeping in tone heart muscles.