Regurgitation of gastric contents into the esophagus is called gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD). In the normal conditions during waking hours and in the erect posture gastric juices may enter the esophagus for only 20 minutes in a day. This occurs during distension of the stomach, belching and burping.
In this supine position the intra-luminal pressure of lower esophageal sphincter rises and this reduces any chance of reflux during this position. Only when reflux occurs more frequently and at times when the stomach is not distended the gastro-esophageal reflux is considered to be pathological.
Pathological conditions of the esophagus and stomach, such as ulcer, gastritis, cancer or presence of the foreign body in the esophagus or stomach, stimulate salivation. Increased salivation before vomiting is typical example.
Natural Home Remedies For Acid Reflux
- Coconut water is an effective natural remedy for acid reflux. This is used in initial 24 hours of treatment. This gives rest to the stomach and intestine and provides necessary vitamins and minerals.
- Gooseberry or emblica officinalis is used in powder form. Standard dose is 2 teaspoon 2 to 3 times in a day depending upon the severity of the case.
- Sandal is also useful in this condition. A decoction is prepared by taking Sandal in liquid form and mixing it with 300ml of water. This is boiled till the quantity is reduced to half its original quantity. This is consumed three times a day.
- For a day or two have simple food such as milk mixed with clarified butter for dinner. Those who have high cholesterol should refrain from this clarified butter.
Prevention Of Acid Reflux Or GERD
There are some foods that cause acid reflux – avoid these when you have acid reflux.
- Take 2 teaspoons of clarified butter in a glass of warm milk. Old rice, wheat flour, milk, green leafy vegetables and fruits containing sweet juice are permitted.
- Coconut water is very beneficial in this condition.
- Simple food is advisable till the symptoms subside and few days thereafter.
- All rich, spicy, oily, flavored, processed, tinned, and carbonated and beans are avoided. Alcohol and tobacco are to be completely avoided.
- Anger, stress, fear, excessive exertion, exposure to sun and fire and irregular eating should be avoided.