Whatever we eat is many times not completely digested by our intestines. The leftovers are passed to the colon where fermentation takes place by the bacterial flora in the colon which leads to formation of gas. Other factors are also responsible for formation of gas or bloating
Several factors that cause people to swallow air.
- If dentures do not fit well, person tends to swallow more saliva which carries air bubble with it.
- If the patient has post-nasal discharge then he tends to swallow more often carrying more air to the stomach.
- Some people have a habit of belching frequently. Belching with open mouth causes more air to enter the stomach causing more intestinal gas.
- Bubble gum chewing, smoking cigar or pipe and carbonated drinks also contribute to excess gas formation.
How To Reduce Gas And Bloating?
- Dentures should be fitted properly.
- Treatment should be taken for post-nasal discharge.
- Slow down while eating, avoid gulping food and chew each bite properly and avoid talking while eating.
- Avoid drinking through straws or narrow mouth bottles, a glass or cup should be used.
- Don’t lie down immediately after eating food, sit for a while.
- Eliminate carbonated drink from your diet.
- Cut down on fatty foods.
- Exercise regularly, reduce undue mental stress.
- Avoid self medication.
Foods That Cause Gas And Bloating
Avoid foods that produce gas, these include:
- Beans and some nuts (groundnuts).
- Pulses (black gram and Bengal gram).
- Vegetables such as potatoes, cabbage, onions, garlic, cauliflower, radish, peas, cucumber.
- Fruits like apples, grapes and banana.
- High fat foods and fried foods.
- Oily or fatty sauces, gravies.
- Dairy products and milk
- Fermented foods
- Rich pastries
Don’t eliminate all gas producing foods at once, instead avoid one food at a time.
Home Remedies To Relieve Gas And Bloating
- Drink a cup of warm water with two drops of Mentha (mint), cinnamon or ginger extract.
- Put two handfuls of Pearl millet and a handful of crystal salt in a bag, warm it over hot plate and foment the abdomen.
- If the patient is a child, then take a small bowl of hot water and dissolve a pinch of asafetida in it. Dip a cloth in that water and foment the abdomen with it.
- Dried ginger and carom seeds (Ajowan caraway) in equal quantities should be steeped in double the quantity of lime juice and then dried and powdered. Add a little black salt to it and two teaspoons should be taken with warm water as and when needed.