What is a Ganglion Cyst
Ganglion cyst is an abnormal sac in the body which contains fluid. A ganglion is a cyst that develops under the skin near a joint. It is filled with a jelly like fluid. The ganglion is usually an outgrowth from the capsule surrounding a joint or from a sheath of a tendon. A hard bump develops on the wrist or back of the hand, but sometimes on the foot. It varies in size from a pea to a plum. Tendons are fibrous cords which attach muscle to bone.The fluid inside the ganglion cyst is derived from the synovial fluid which lubricates both tendons and joints. Ganglia are quite common and are generally painless. As mentioned above, they may be felt as a lump under the skin and may be present for several years without causing a problem. But some ganglia become very uncomfortable or even cause pain.
Ganglion cyst Prevention
- A ganglion may disappear spontaneously. It is mostly removed surgically under local anesthesia but recurrence is there in some cases, so one should try to take natural way of treating ganglion.
- A very nutritious diet of fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes and nuts, plus a wide-spectrum of vitamin-mineral supplementation, will help reduce its size. Do not overeat, even fruits or vegetables.
- Avoid constipation, as it will make it more difficult to shrink the cysts.
- Maintaining outstanding health, through proper rest, exercise and outdoor walking, strengthens the body and helps it resolve this problem. Do not over-work with your hands while not obtaining enough rest.
Home Remedies for Ganglion Cysts
- The cyst is a fluid enlargement, so astringent herb compresses, saturated with hazel or white oak bark tea, can help shrink them. It is easier to eliminate them while they are small.
- Echinacea contains properdin, which strengthens the immune system and thus helps in spontaneous disappearance of the cyst.
- Licorice has most bactericidal compound and antiviral properties and hence is useful in natural removal of the fluid from the cyst and prevents recurrence.