Gallbladder polyps are growths that can be found on the walls of the gallbladder. These polyps can be small or big in size. There is distinct threat of cancer in the bigger polyps. Though doctors have not been able to identify the actual cause of gallbladder polyps, there are five different categories of gallbladder polyps that can, to an extent, help determine the cause.
- Cholesterosis – this is most common form gallbladder polyps caused due to excess cholesterol.
- Adenocarcinoma – Polyps in this form are usually cancerous.
- Other three conditions that cause gallbladder polyps are adenomyomatosis, cholecystosis and hyperplastic cholecystosis.
Physical discomfort or tenderness in the abdomen is usually the only sign of gallbladder polyps. If the discomfort is greater than you can bear, the condition is probably gallstones, not gallbladder polyps.
Gallbladder polyps are usually diagnosed while scanning for other conditions. Once polyps are discovered, it is also important that these polyps are tested for malignancy. If these polyps are malignant, the course of treatment will vary greatly. If the polyps are not cancerous, then the course of treatment will change.
Surgery is not the only option for gallbladder polyps. Gallbladder surgery involves the removal of the entire gallbladder.Since that measure seems a little extreme, you can even try natural or home remedies for relief from gallbladder polyps.
Natural Remedies For Gallbladder Polyps
For gallbladder polyps, if not cancerous, you can try different home remedies for some relief.
- Drinking pear juice or eating pears can reduce the inflammation or tenderness in the gallbladder.
- Unrefined olive oil on an empty stomach can also provide relief.
- Beetroots are also good for gallbladders. You can have a shot of beet juice daily till you feel your symptoms recede.
- You can try other root vegetables like carrots too. Carrot juice can also help bile ducts clear up.
- Hot water packs can provide relief externally.
- Warm water enemas are also a great way to help gallbladder polyps.
Along with home remedies, there are even some preventive steps that can help reduce the suffering of gallbladder polyps.
- Avoid fried or fatty foods, including high cholesterol foods and readymade goods.
- Avoid full fat dairy products.
- Stay away from carbonated drinks.
- Increase your intake of omega 3 fatty acids – eat more fatty fish or on your doctor’s consult, add fish oil supplements to your daily diet.
- Add more ginger and turmeric to your diet.
- Increase your intake of fruits and vegetables.