Question: Doctor, please I had enteric fever (typhoid fever) 4 months ago and it was treated with Cipro. Though it has come down but for the past few months I have been feeling headache, tiredness, weakness, abdominal pain, fever and loss of appetite.
Can you please suggest me some home remedies or treatment to cure my above symptoms?
I want to ask you which medicine I can use to cure it forever. I have heard that typhoid kills, is it true?
Answer: Typhoid is caused by an organism salmonella typhus which spreads through the feco- oral route.
Nutritive measures are the most vital and only way of affecting permanent cure. Dietary management, with a healthy lifestyle and hygienic living conditions will prevent a recurrence.
Natural Home Remedies To Cure Enteric Fever
- Drink only boiled and filtered water.
- Wash your hands and feet thoroughly after you return from outside.
- Keep food covered always and have steaming hot food.
- Stay away from outside food.
- To fight fatigue, you must have raisins daily. Soak overnight in water and have the next day. It is highly beneficial for fatigue.
- Begin your day with 1/2 a lime with 1 spoon honey in a glass of warm water.
- Avoid stimulants – spicy food, tea, coffee, soft drinks, and alcohol. If you don’t have diarrhea, you can consume milk and its products freely.
- Increase your fluid intake – soups, juices (not canned / from outside), glucose water, coconut water.
- Coconut water is an excellent medicine.
- Rice gruel is very effective. It’s soft, easy to digest and rich in nutrients.
Get the following investigations done.
- Stool examination