Dysentery is a disease of the large intestine, characterized by ulceration and inflammation of the bowel and colic pain. Stools are liquid or semi-formed and are accompanied by mucous and blood. Dysentery caused by protozoa (amoebic dysentery) is mild but does not leave the patient easily and the bacilli create toxins, which are absorbed by blood.
In chronic cases general health is disturbed, constipation and diarrhea alternate, stools are rotten and bad smelling and may contain blood, fever may rise to 104 to 105 degree Fahrenheit.
Some common causes of dysentery include:
- Dysentery is caused by germ infection in the colon due to excessive intake of foods like flesh foods in hot weather or tropical climate.
- Over spiced food and fatty foods.
- Unsanitary conditions.
- Intestinal disorders, lowered vigor, fatigue and weakness.
Natural Home Remedies To Cure Dysentery
- Fast on water, orange juice or buttermilk till acute symptoms subside.
- Castor oil can be taken to remove offensive matter quickly and without straining.
- Low pressure enema should be administered 2 to 3 times daily.
- Hot water bag maybe applied to the stomach and complete bed rest is advisable.
- Solid foods have to be introduced gradually and carefully.
- Pulp of Stone Apple fruit mixed with jaggery should be given thrice daily. Pulp of unripe fruit mixed with equal quantity of ginger can be given with buttermilk.
- Peel few lemons and slice them. Boil it in water for few minutes. Strain it and drink thrice daily.
- Boil pomegranate rind in milk and remove from fire when 1/3rd of milk has evaporated. Take this in 3 equal doses.
- Chew coriander leaves and sugar slowly.
- Chew small pieces of onion mixed with curd and equal quantity of tender leaves of Ficus religiosa (Peepal).
- Refined and processed foods, tea, coffee, alcohol and fleshy foods should be avoided.