Cracked Toenails Remedies: How to Treat Cracked Toenails
Cracked toenails can be very unsightly especially if you are someone who is used to wearing open-toed shoes and flip-flops. Some reasons toenails crack and sometimes turn yellow and brittle include fungal infections, bad toenail hygiene, and even the simple neglect of cutting them short. You can get your toenails back into open-toed-shoes condition with a few tips and tricks that are easy to do.
Healing and Treating Cracked Toenails from Home
These things can be very ugly to look at, and some people can be disgusted by unsightly and unhealthy-looking toenails.You need not go to a foot doctor or to a parlor to get these toenails done to make them look good and healthy. Here are a few home remedies you can do to get these ugly cracked toenails look better:
- Vicks Vapor Rub is one remedy very few people know about. Simply wash your feet clean and pat dry. Apply Vicks over each cracked toenail. After you have smeared Vicks on each nail, wear comfortable and clean cotton socks and leave overnight. In the morning, remove the socks and wash off the vapor rub from your nails with warm water and soap. Do this every day until your nails improve in appearance.
- When toenail fungus is the culprit for your cracked toenails, you need to get rid of them before your toenails get to heal. You can kill fungus from your feet with a simple recipe of apple cider vinegar or white vinegar and some warm water. Simply soak you feet in a mixture of equal parts of vinegar and warm water for half an hour. Towel dry your feet after this procedure. Try to do this at least a couple of times a day until the fungus disappears. Your cracked and yellow nails will heal naturally after the fungus is gone.
- Combine some tea tree oil and some lavender oil in a dropper. Use this herbal oil combination on each cracked nail every day. Place a drop on each nail and rub gently. Try to wear clean socks over this and leave overnight. You can also do this remedy a couple of times to three times a day for faster healing.
- Did you know that mouthwash can also help with treating toenail fungus and cracked nails? Soak your feet in a basin of water and some strong mouthwash at least twice a day to help with cracked nails and nail fungus.
- You can also use laundry bleach to help get rid of fungi that causes cracked toenails. If you are allergic to bleach however, do not use this treatment. All you need to do is to soak your infected feet in a mixture of water and some laundry bleach at least for a few minutes twice a day. If itching occurs, discontinue the treatment.