Alcoholism is a serious health problem faced by people all over the world. Alcoholism is an addiction to alcohol where a person is unable to prevent himself from frequent and excessive consumption for physical and psychological reasons. It is a chronic disorder.
Drinking alcohol frequently and for long period of time can lead to its dependency. Aside from damage to liver, brain and other vital organs of the body, alcoholism can ruin a person’s life. Drunkenness can lead to job loss, can strain family life, and can lead to accidents. Chronic alcoholism can become a cause for depletion of vitamin and minerals which are essential for various metabolic activities in the body.
Treatment of alcoholism is not an easy task; it may take weeks and months. Counseling as well as natural home remedies play an important role in treating alcoholism.
What Are The Symptoms Of Alcoholism?
Alcohol that human consume is ethanol or ethyl alcohol. Common symptoms of that alcoholics have include:
- Alcoholics have a rapid pulse, hoarse voice, bloodshot eyes and a puffy face.
- They are overemotional, irritated, aggressive and quarrelsome. They talk loudly.
- The chronic alcoholism reduces appetite.
- Disturbed sleep, vomiting, impaired judgment, premature graying of hair, impaired memory, eye disorders, convulsions, delirium tremors and slurred speech.
- Disorder of stomach and liver, weak and flabby heart are the other symptoms of alcoholism.
- It can lead to vitamin and mineral deficiency resulting in disease such as Beri Beri, pellagra, tingling and numbness in finger and limbs.
- Cancer of neck and head, esophagus and stomach, liver and pancreas are common due to alcoholism.
- Weakness and fatigue is also observed.
- Gynecomastia (enlarged breast) in men, loss of libido, low grade fever, white nails, gastrointestinal bleeding are few other symptoms associated with chronic alcoholism.
Causes And Risk Factors Of Alcohol Addiction
Following are the risk factors:
- The risk of a person’s dependence for alcohol increases when he begins to drink at an early age.
- When a person begins to drink daily, he becomes dependent on alcohol after certain period of time.
- There is an increased risk of alcoholism if parents and siblings have history of alcoholism.
- Mental state of health such as anxiety, fear, frustration, depression can provoke consumption of alcohol.
- Attending frequent social gatherings where free alcohol is served or having friends who are chronic alcoholic may tend to increase the risk of a person who is not an alcoholic.
Natural Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Alcoholism
To treat alcoholism is not a difficult task as it is believed to be. The person should be willing to quit alcohol permanently. Following are the ways that may help the person to abstain from alcohol.
- He should remain busy in some other activities such as playing sports, playing with children, exercising etc.
- Should avoid going to places such as bars and pubs and social gatherings where alcohol is available.
- Avoid meeting friends who drink regularly especially during evening hours.
- Apples are known to reduce the urge for alcohol. Person should eat an apple whenever he craves alcohol. Also apple benefits in many other ways to the body.
- Bananas, carrot juice, grape juice all benefit an alcoholic person who wants to quit alcohol. These fruits suppress the desire for alcoholic drinks.
- Bitter gourd is an effective home remedy for treating alcoholism. Extract 3 to 5 teaspoons of bitter gourd juice and mix it in one glass of buttermilk. Drink the juice early in the morning. The stomach should be empty.
- Boil Dates in one glass of milk and consume it daily in the morning for one month. It is an effective home remedy for treating alcoholism.