Nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs and it has caused great health and monetary impact on society. It is one of the chemicals found in cigarette, pipes and cigars. This is primary component present in tobacco products. In its natural form, nicotine is an oily substance and it can get easily absorbed in the skin, lining of mouth or in the lungs.
Nicotine stains on fingernails is frequently seen among people who smoke excessively. This chemical can stain your fingernails yellow. Yellow discoloration due to nicotine may be certainly unsightly as your fingernails are visible to others.While many smokers neglect the stains, there are many who seek treatment to get rid of them.
With routine nail hygiene and stain removal techniques, it is possible to get rid of nicotine stains to make the nails appear healthy and beautiful.
How To Remove Nicotine Stains From Fingernails At Home?
Nicotine stains are difficult to remove and if you want to get rid of them, the first thing that needs to be done is to quit smoking. Unless you do not stop smoking, all the work and methods you use are futile. Below are given important steps to remove stains from fingernail.
- Take a small bowl and pour warm soapy water in it. Take soft nail brush or a new toothbrush and dip in the fluid. Scrub your fingernails with the soaked brush for few minutes before you wash your hands and fingers with tap water. After scrubbing clean the nails with nail stick.
- Rub lemon juice on your fingernails. Cut one or two lemons and extract the juice. Rub the juice with other hand on the stained fingernail for five minutes. Clean the area with water and pat it dry. Do this procedure two times in a week. After few weeks the stains on the nails will lighten.
- Nicotine stains on fingernail can be removed with potatoes. Rub half cut potato on the fingernail. Do the procedure daily for a period of two to three weeks or till you see the stains fade.
- Hydrogen peroxide solution is useful to remove nicotine stains from nails. Mix equal quantity of hydrogen peroxide and water in a bowl. Soak the stained nails in the bowl for few minutes. Remove your finger from the bowl and scrub the nails with a toothbrush. Once you finish scrubbing wash your nails with warm water to remove left over hydrogen peroxide on the nail.
- You can use white toothpaste to remove the stain. Just as you brush your teeth, scrub the toothpaste on your nails with a toothbrush.
- Instead of toothpaste, you can also use baking soda. Prepare a paste of baking soda and with the help of toothbrush rub it on the fingernail. Wash your nails once you have rubbed the nails with warm water and pat the area dry.
- If you the yellow discoloration of fingernail is due to fungus, apply tea tree oil on the nail. Rub it once in a day till the fungus infection is completely cured. Tea tree oil is natural fungicidal. However, sometimes using tea tree oil may cause irritation therefore dilute it with carrier oil such as coconut oil or olive oil.