Muscle fatigue is a condition where the muscle is not able to exert the required force normally when it has to. It results when the capacity of the muscles to perform certain task decreases.
The situation arises due to genetic reasons or due to heavy exercise.
Causes Of Muscle Weakness
Let us know the causes of muscle fatigue.
Lactic acid built up in the muscle was believed to be the cause of muscle weakness, but it is still a topic of debate among the scientists. Apart from this, some of the main causes for muscle weakness are:
- Exercise: fatigue due to strenuous exercise among athletes, after heavy workouts as it can cause overexertion and stress to the muscle. Though the phenomenon is temporary it should not be overlooked. Rest is necessary after exercise.
- Disruption in calcium flow to the muscles.
- Stress for a prolonged period.
- Medications: muscle weakness can be side effect of certain medications.
- Hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism.
Muscle fatigue for a long duration can change the quality of the life, but it can lead to serious condition of heart, lungs, and other vital organs.
Muscle Fatigue Symptoms
Following are the symptoms of muscle fatigue:
- Weakness and low energy level for doing daily activities as in heart patients, high blood pressure patients.
- Muscle twitching.
- Difficulty in gripping an object.
- Weakness in arms and legs.
- Local weakness of the muscles as a result of reduced nerve impulses.
Treatment For Muscle Fatigue
- Sleep and rest are important part of treatment in case of muscle fatigue. A proper rest after rigorous workout and an eight hour sleep is necessary.
- Stop coffee, tea, alcohol and tobacco.
- Yoga exercise is useful in alleviating the symptoms of muscle fatigue.
- A warm shower.
- Physiotherapy exercise and nerve stimulation.
- Supplements are used in anemia.
- Treating underlying hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism.
- You have to consult your doctor if under medications and if that is the cause.